Ronak Patel completed his Bachelor of Pharmacy degree from Nirma University, India in 2013. He joined the Graduate Program in Pharmaceutical Sciences as a PhD student in August of 2014, and is presently working in the laboratory of Dr. Abraham Al-Ahmad with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- BPharm: Nirma University, India, 2013
Blood Brain Barrier research; Brain hypoxia and ischemia; Stem cells.
- Patel R, Hossain MA, German N, Al-Ahmad AJ. Gliotoxin penetrates and impairs the integrity of the human blood-brain barrier in vitro. Mycotoxin Res. 2018 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Al-Ahmad AJ, Patel R, Palecek SP, Shusta EV. Hyaluronan impairs the barrier integrity of brain microvascular endothelial cells through a CD44-dependent pathway. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2018 Jan 1:271678X18767748.
- Kinarivala N, Patel R, Boustany RM, Al-Ahmad A, Trippier PC. Discovery of Aromatic Carbamates that Confer Neuroprotective Activity by Enhancing Autophagy and Inducing the Anti-Apoptotic Protein B-Cell Lymphoma 2 (Bcl-2). J Med Chem. 2017 Dec 14;60(23):9739-9756.
- Patel R, Page S, Al-Ahmad AJ. Isogenic blood-brain barrier models based on patient-derived stem cells display inter-individual differences in cell maturation and functionality. J Neurochem. 2017 Jul;142(1):74-88. Epub 2017 May 14.
- Patel R, Alahmad AJ. Growth-factor reduced Matrigel source influences stem cell derived brain microvascular endothelial cell barrier properties. Fluids Barriers CNS. 2016 Apr 12;13:6.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Abraham Al-Ahmad. "Development of an in-vitro patient-specific neurovascular unit based on induced pluripotent stem cells". Society for Neuroscience, Washington, DC; November 2017.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Abraham Al-Ahmad. "Development of an in vitro patient specific neurovascular unit based on induced pluripotent stem cells". Society for Neuroscience, San Diego, CA; November 2016.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Abraham Al-Ahmad. "The Neurovascular Unit in a Dish: Development of an in vitro Patient Specific Model Based on Induced Pluripotent Cells". First Annual Meeting of the Center of Excellence for Translational Neuroscience and Therapeutics [CTNT], TTUHSC, Lubbock, TX; April 2016.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page, Dr. Abraham Al-Ahmad. “The Neurovascular Unit in a Dish: Development of a Patient Specific in vitro Model using Stem Cells.” Student Research Week, TTUHSC Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Lubbock, TX; March 2016.
- Ronak Patel, Shyanne Page and Abraham Al-Ahmad. "The Neurovascular Unit in a Dish: Development of a Patient Specific in vitro Model using Stem Cells". 10th Annual Drug Discovery for Neurodegeneration Conference, Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation, Miami, FL; March 2016.
- Patel Ronak; Page Shyanne; Al-Ahmad Abraham. "Hypoxia/ischemia induces barrier breakdown in stem-cell derived human brain microvascular cell monolayers". Cambridge Healthtech Institute's World Preclinical Congress – Blood Brain Barrier Conference, Boston, MA; June 2015.
- Patel, Ronak; Page, Shyanne; Cucullo, Luca; Al-Ahmad, Abraham. "Hypoxia/ischemia induces barrier breakdown in human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived brain microvascular endothelial cells". Student Research Week, TTUHSC Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Lubbock, TX; March 2015.
- 10/19/2018 "Modeling the healthy and diseased blood-brain barrier in-vitro using patient-specific induced pluripotent stem cells" [Doctoral Dissertation Defense, public presentation given during Seminar course series]
- 01/24/2018 "Modeling diseased blood-brain barrier using patient derived stem cells (Making a case with Batten disease and familial form of Alzheimer’s disease)"
- 10/18/2017 "Isogenic models of the blood-brain barrier from patient-derived stem cells: A step closer in designing a neurovascular unit in a dish"
- 10/05/2016 "The Generation of Patient-Specific Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells (iPSCs)-Based Blood-Brain Barrier Model of Alzheimer's Disease to Study Amyloid-β Clearance" [Oral Qualifying Exam, public presentation]
- 11/04/2015 "Design of a patient and disease specific in-vitro model of the neurovascular unit using human induced pluripotent stem cells"
- Full-Tuition Scholarship, sponsored by Howard Hughes Medical Institute for Education and National Institute of Health's National Institute on Aging, for "Improving Preclinical Translation of Alzheimer’s Disease Research" short course, Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, ME; October 2018.
- Young Investigator Scholarship, Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation (ADDF), March 2016.
- Society for Neuroscience, 2015-present.
- Graduate Student Association in Amarillo, 2014-present.