Center for Speech, Language, and Hearing Research
Candace Hicks, Ph.D., CCC-A
Director, Center for Speech, Language, and Hearing Research
The Center for Speech, Language, and Hearing Research (CSLHR) is embedded within the School of Health Professions, and is administered through the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC).
The primary mission of the CSLHR is to promote education, research, and clinical practice in the areas of speech, language, and hearing. The Center's goal is to facilitate a collaborative effort among faculty in the programs of audiology, speech-language pathology, and rehabilitation sciences within the School of Health Professions and faculty from other programs within TTUHSC and Texas Tech University (TTU) who have interest and expertise in processing and production of auditory information, including linguistic stimuli.
The CSLHR laboratories are located on the 3rd floor of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center building in Lubbock, Texas (3B-302). Each research laboratory is run by a full-time, doctoral level faculty member in the Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. The research laboratories are listed below.
Adult Neurogenic Language Disorders Laboratory
Melinda Corwin, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
phone: (806) 743-9050
Auditory Perception Laboratory
Dwayne Paschall, Ph.D, CCC-A
phone: (806) 743-9047
Auditory Processes Laboratory
Tori Gustafson, Au.D., CCC-A
phone: (806) 743-9042
Augmentative and Alternative Communication Laboratory
Rajinder Koul, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Professor and Associate Dean (Research)
phone: (806) 743-9033
Applied and Clinical Linguistics Laboratory
Tobias Kroll, Ph.D.
phone: (806) 743-9052
Behavioral Hearing Laboratory
Leigh Ann Reel, Au.D., Ph.D., CCC-A
phone: (806) 743-9043
Child Phonology Laboratory
Sue Ann S. Lee, Ph.D.
phone: (806) 743-9051
Speech Science Laboratory
James Dembowski, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
phone: (806) 743-9054
Pediatric Audiometric Science Laboratory
Candace Hicks, Ph.D., CCC-A
phone: (806) 743-9044
Pediatric Language Disorders Laboratory
Mary Beth Schmitt, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
phone: (806) 743-9060
Signal Processing & Communications Laboratory
Yang-Soo Yoon, Ph.D.
phone: (806) 743-9048
Vestibular/Auditory Integrated Biomedical Laboratory
Steven Zupancic, Au.D., Ph.D., CCC-A
phone: (806) 743-9041
Much of the research conducted through the CSLHR is clinically based. The CSLHR operates in partnership with the Speech-Language and Hearing Clinics, which are located on the 2nd floor (2A-300) of TTUHSC in Lubbock, Texas. Clinical services which are currently available include the following:
Audiological evaluation and treatment for children and adults in the following areas:
- hearing loss requiring hearing aids and/or aural rehabilitation
- auditory processing disorder (APD)
- cochlear implants
- balance or dizziness problems
Speech-language evaluation and treatment for children and adults in the following areas:
- speech sound problems, including apraxia of speech, cerebral palsy, dysarthria, hearing loss, phonological disorders, and/or the need for augmentative/alternative forms of communication
- language-learning problems, including autism, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Down syndrome, learning disability, specific language impairment, developmental language disorder, dyslexia, and dysgraphia
- voice problems, including hoarseness or breathiness
- swallowing problems
- acquired language problems, including traumatic brain injury and aphasia
- memory problems, including traumatic brain injury and dementia
Research and clinical faculty members work closely with students pursuing degrees in the following areas:
Master of Science (M.S.) in Speech-Language Pathology
Doctorate of Audiology (Au.D.)
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Communication Sciences and Disorders
1. Faculty members/CSLHR personnel published 17 peer-reviewed publications and/or book chapters and completed over 65 research and professional presentations in 2014-2015. Ph.D. students in the department were a part of 2 peer-reviewed publications and 7 peer-reviewed presentations in 2014-2015.
2. Faculty members/CSLHR personnel submitted 34 grants in 2014-2015.
3. The CSLHR sponsored several research short seminars in 2014-2015.
4. The TTUHSC Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic provided >600 hours of adult hearing/balance services, >700 hours of pediatric hearing/balance services, >1000 hours of adult speech/language/swallowing services, and >3900 hours of pediatric speech/language/swallowing services in 2014/2015.
5. The South Plain Autism Network (SPAN) serves approximately 20 families with children who have autism every month.
6. The Preschool Language and Articulation for Young Children (PLAY) Group meets twice weekly and serves approximately 20 children.
7. The Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic has the only Listening and Spoken Language Specialist (LSLS) certified in Auditory Verbal Therapy (AVT) in West Texas and South Plains areas.
8. The Cochlear Implant Group for adults serves several families and is working to expand its clinical outreach.
9. The Stroke/Aphasia Recovery (STAR) Program serves approximately 60 stroke survivors and caregivers weekly during the fall and spring semesters.
CSLHR Director: Candace Hicks, Ph.D., CCC-A
Mailing Address: 3601 4th St. Stop 6073, Lubbock, TX 79430