Undergraduate to Medical School Initiative (UMSI)
Application UMSI AVAILABLE THIS FALL. Please read eligibility requirements.
Primary Qualifications | Other Program Details | Applications | TTU Application Details | TTU Application Notes | UMSI Application | Interviewing at TTUHSC | Qualities searched for in Interview | Acceptance Notification | Timeline | Undergraduate Requirements | Maintaining Requirements | Program Contact Information
About the Program
This is not an accelerated, 6, 7 year, or other type of fast-track program to medical school. Texas Tech University and Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School
of Medicine offer an exciting and competitive program designed
for academically talented and highly motivated students interested
in pursuing a M.D. degree. By meeting the special requirements
and deadlines of this joint program, a select group of entering
freshmen are guaranteed admission to the Texas Tech University
Health Sciences Center School of Medicine after completion of
a Bachelor's Degree at Texas Tech University. Combined with undergraduate coursework and medical school, the student is looking at 8 years of study.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Must be a Texas resident
- High School Senior classification
- Minimum 1300 SAT (includes math and critical reading sections only) or 29 ACT (composite score must be earned in one time administration)
- Preference will be given to students ranking in the top 10% of high school class
- Minimum high school GPA of 3.7 on four-point scale (or equivalent) in a college preparatory curriculum
Students must apply and be admitted to Texas Tech University and the Honors College as entering Freshmen, before the application process for UMSI is complete.
- UMSI students are required to spend four years as an undergraduate at Texas Tech University and demonstrate significant evidence of health-related activities in a hospital or clinical setting before entering the School of Medicine. By waiving the MCAT requirement and guaranteeing medical school admission, UMSI gives students the opportunity to have a varied undergraduate education, which could include internships or study abroad. [Early matriculation may be considered after students have completed at least three years of undergraduate study at Texas Tech University. These candidates must interview with select faculty from the School of Medicine. Applicants must demonstrate accelerated levels of appropriate medical readiness.]
- Students accepted into the UMSI program are required to complete the HONORS College requirements as well. The completion of the required coursework, activities, and events in the HONORS College are a condition of matriculation to TTUHSC SOM.
- NOTE: Study abroad programs must be taken with an affiliated Texas Tech University institution or program. These grades MUST appear on your Texas Tech University transcript.
- Apply to Texas Tech University though, ApplyTexas
- Honors College Application
- $50 application fee
- The following documents are submitted to Texas Tech University-Undergraduate Admissions at the time of application and will be reviewed when applying to the UMSI program.
- Test scores
- Either SAT or ACT scores are acceptable
- Scores should be sent to Texas Tech by the testing service agency
- Official copy of high school transcripts indicating
- Class rank
- Courses in progress
- 2 letters of evaluation addressing academic and leadership potential
- Test scores
Processing of submitted applications will be completed and students will be informed of admission status within 4-6 weeks. Contact TTU admissions for any questions regarding undergraduate degrees.
- The UMSI application must be completed and submitted online
- Proof of Texas residency must be uploaded as a part of your application (copy of driver's license)
- utility bill with address
- high school photo identification
- driver's license
- state photo identification card
- The School of Medicine will use the letters of evaluation you included in your application to the Honors College at Texas Tech University. If you choose, you may provide up to one additional letter of evaluation as a part of your UMSI application, which must be submitted within the online application.
- NOTE: Additional documents that were submitted to Texas Tech University at the time of application (see Step 1 above) will also be reviewed and may include
- Proof of acceptance from TTU
- Proof of pending application to Honors College
After the UMSI application is submitted, admissions officers will review the files and invite a select group of qualified individuals for personal interviews with the UMSI selection committee.
- Students that have submitted their application after the deadline will not be considered for an interview.
- Students accepted into UMSI cannot apply to other medical schools.
- Ability to balance academics with extracurricular and work activities.
- Evidence of caring behavior.
- Experience in health care field.
- Knowledge of the health care system and its current changes.
- Interpersonal skills such as the ability to interact well with patients and peers.
|October 1||UMSI application opens|
|December 1||Deadline for UMSI application and all supporting documents (see step 2 above)|
UMSI students are welcome to pursue a major of their choice. However, the following prerequisite courses must be completed by all in the program:
|Biology or Zoology||15*|
|General Chemistry (with labs)||8|
|Organic Chemistry (with labs)||8|
|Physics (with labs)||8|
|Statistics offered by Math Department||3|
* Recommended upper level courses include: Genetics, Cell Biology, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Molecular Biology, Developmental Biology, Cell Biology and Immunology.
Note: A limited number of Advanced Placement (AP) or dual credit courses may also be accepted by Texas Tech University School of Medicine for coursework only in English.
All prerequisite courses require graded work. All A/P and/or dual credit for prerequisite courses must be retaken or substituted with a higher level course.
Prerequisites for UMSI are specific to the program and are different than general admission requirements.
UMSI Participants are required to submit the online Texas Medical Dental Schools Application to TMDSAS (www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas) between May 1st and October 1st the year prior to matriculation to the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine.
- Take all coursework and prerequisites at Texas Tech University. Coursework can also be taken at any study-abroad affiliated TTU program with the exception of medical school specific courses or prerequisites.
- All UMSI students must maintain a 3.7 overall GPA
- All UMSI students must maintain a 3.6 science GPA
- A grade of "B" or higher must be earned in all graded prerequisite courses
- Matriculation will occur four years from acceptance into the UMSI program and is dependent on completion of an undergraduate degree and maintenance of program requirements.
- Be in good standing in the Honors College (including regular involvement in Honors extracurricular activities)
- Meet all requirements of the Program Guidelines
- Show evidence of continued health care related and non-related health care activities
- NOTE: Criminal background checks will be completed on all students matriculating to TTUHSC School of Medicine.
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine
Assistant Director of Recruitment and Special Programs
School of Medicine - Office of Admissions 2B116
Lubbock, TX 79430