Cell Biology and Biochemistry
Jannette M. Dufour, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Research
Ph.D. Genetics and Cell Biology
Washington State University, 1999
Department of Cell Biology and Biochemistry
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
3601 4th Street, Mail Stop 6540
Lubbock, TX 79430
Phone: (806) 743-2616
Fax: (806) 743-2990
Sertoli cells, Immune privilege, Transplantation, Diabetes, Islets, Gene therapy,
Current research is focused on the use of immunoprotective Sertoli cells in transplantation.
Transplantation of genetically modified, immune-privileged Sertoli cells
In this project, we are evaluating the feasibility of using immune-privileged Sertoli
cells as a vehicle to deliver therapeutically relevant proteins. Specifically, the
ability of insulin-expressing Sertoli cells to normalize blood glucose levels long-term
in diabetic mice and survive after transplantation across immunological barriers.
Immune-privileged Sertoli cells as a treatment for diabetes
The objective of this project is to determine the mechanism by which Sertoli cells
protect co-transplanted pancreatic islets in order to increase knowledge of what is
necessary to create an immune privileged site and ultimately to improve outcomes of
- Kaur G, Thompson LA, Dufour JM. 2015 Therapeutic potential of immune privileged Sertoli cells. Animal Reproduction12:105-117.
- Mital P, Kaur G, Bowlin B, Paniagua NJ, Korbutt GS, Dufour JM. 2014 Nondividing, post-pubertal rat Sertoli cells resumed proliferation after transplantation.
Biology of Reproduction 90:1, 13. PubMed
- Kaur G, Thompson LA, Dufour JM. 2014 Sertoli cells: Immunological sentinels of spermatogenesis. Seminars in Cell
and Developmental Biology 30:36-44. PubMed
- Kaur G, Thompson LA, Pasham M, Tessanne K, Long CR, Dufour JM. 2014 Sustained expression of insulin by a genetically engineered Sertoli cell line
after allotransplantation in diabetic BALB/c mice. Biology of Reproduction 90:5, 109.
Selected for a Commentary (Cupp AS, Sertoli cell based gene therapy. 2014 Biology
of Reproduction) PubMed
- Kaur G, Mital P, Dufour JM. 2013 Testis immune privilege- Assumptions versus facts. Animal Reproduction 10:3-15.
- Kaur G, Long CR, Dufour JM. 2012 Genetically engineered immune privileged Sertoli cells – a new road to cell
based gene therapy. Spermatogenesis 2:23-31. Cover photo PubMed
- Doyle TJ, Kaur G, Putrevu SM, Dyson EL, Dyson M, McCunniff WT, Kim KH, Dufour JM. 2012 Potential genes and pathways that confer immune privilege: immunoprotective
properties of Sertoli cell-enriched testicular cells. Biology of Reproduction 86:1-14.
- Kaur G, Dufour JM. 2012 Editorial: Cell lines – Valuable tools or useless artifacts. Spermatogenesis
- Mital P, Hinton BT, Dufour JM. 2011 The blood-testis and blood-epididymal barriers are more than just their tight
junctions. Biology of Reproduction 84:851–858. PubMed
- Halley KR, Dyson EL, Kaur G, Mital P, Uong P, Dass B, Dufour JM. 2010 Delivery of a therapeutic protein by immune privileged Sertoli cells. Cell
Transplantation 19:1645-1657. PubMed
- Mital P, Kaur G, Dufour JM. 2010 Immunoprotective Sertoli cells: Making allogeneic and xenogeneic transplantation
feasible. Reproduction 139:495-504. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Lord SJ, Kin T, Rayat GR, Dixon DE, Bleackley RC, Korbutt GS, Rajotte RV. 2008 Comparison
of successful and unsuccessful islet/Sertoli cell co-transplant grafts in streptozotocin
induced diabetic mice. Cell Transplantation 16:1029-1038. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Dass B, Halley K, Korbutt GS, Dixon DE, Rajotte RV. 2008 Sertoli cell line lacks
the immunoprotective properties associated with primary Sertoli cells. Cell Transplantation
17:525-534. Cover photo PubMed
- Lord SJ, Sipione S, Motyka B, Ewen C, Shostak I, Rayat GR, Dufour JM, Korbutt GS, Rajotte RV, Bleackley RC. 2006 Identification of a novel human granzyme
B inhibitor secreted by cultured Sertoli cells. Journal of Immunology 177:5051-5058.
- Dufour JM, Hamilton M, Rajotte RV, Korbutt GS. 2005 Neonatal porcine Sertoli cells inhibit
human natural antibody mediated lysis. Biology of Reproduction 72:1224-1231. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Rajotte RV, Zimmerman M, Rezania A, Kin T, Dixon DE, Korbutt GS. 2005 Development
of an ectopic site for islet transplantation using biodegradable scaffolds. Tissue
Engineering 9/10:1323-1331. PubMed
- Kin T, Korbutt GS, Kobayashi T, Dufour JM, Rajotte. 2005 Reversal of diabetes in pancreatectomized pigs after transplantation
of neonatal porcine islets. Diabetes 54:1032-1039. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Hemendinger R, Halberstadt CR, Gores P, Emerich DF, Korbutt GS, Rajotte RV. 2004
Genetically engineered Sertoli cells are able to survive allogeneic transplantation.
Gene Therapy 11:694-700. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Rajotte RV, Seeberger K, Kin T, Korbutt GS. 2003 Long-term survival of neonatal
porcine Sertoli cells in non- immunosuppressed rats. Xenotransplantation. 10:577-586.