Statement of Professionalism
Download print version
Striving for Excellence...
The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine is a community
dedicated to the education of health care professionals in an environment that promotes
and respects human dignity. We commit to excellence in human service and stewardship
in the educational, clinical, research, operational, and community activities of the
school. We strive…
- To foster an institutional environment that promotes human dignity.
- To respect each person as an inherently and uniquely valuable member of the human
- To embrace a holistic view of human beings in their physical, mental, social, and
- To provide systems, structures, and procedures which are attuned to the basic human
values such as altruism, honor, fairness, and respect for others.
- To dedicate ourselves to addressing the healthcare needs of the West Texas community
and of the overall society through teaching and mentoring physicians and scientists
who are competent, ethical, and compassionate.
- To accept our responsibility as faithful stewards of healthcare resources, with a
commitment to the needs of the vulnerable and the disadvantaged.
In the education of medical students, residents, and scientists, we strive…
- To observe, promote, and mentor professional behavior at all levels of training.
- To recognize the responsibility and the commitment of faculty to teach and to model
appropriate professional behavior.
- To consistently evaluate academic offerings and address professional responsibilities
throughout the curriculum.
In the care of patients, we strive…
- To provide competent care, treatment, and services in a way that respects and fosters
dignity, autonomy, compassion, positive self-regard, civil rights, and involvement
- To espouse a proactive, patient-centered environment that recognizes the patient as
the primary decision-maker and respects the whole person – body, mind, and spirit.
- To develop team-oriented professionals who recognize and support the contributions
of the team members in achieving and sustaining optimal clinical outcomes.
In our research activities, we strive…
- To work towards the advancement of biomedical knowledge.
- To promote the protection of individuals, the institution, and society through structures
that respect human dignity and the responsible use of resources.
- To conscientiously abide by institutional, state, and federal regulations and related
ethical standards in all research activities.
- To ensure faculty and staff compliance with policies and the Quality Assurance/Compliance
In the conduct of our business, we strive…
- To provide administrative leadership that is sensitive to and supportive of open communication,
opportunities for honest feedback, regular assessment of performance, and recognition
of employees in order to create a positive work environment.
- To model fair, efficient, and compassionate business practice.
- To maintain structures that support professional and ethical conduct by promoting
financial stability, ensuring the protection of confidentiality, and promulgating
professional values in marketing and billing practices.
- To assess benefits and harms to patients and the medical school community in the establishment
of partnerships and the contracting with other entities.
- To embrace responsible and honest stewardship in the provision and management of resources.
In support of the West Texas community, we strive...
- To promote ongoing dialogue with communities and offer assistance in the assessment
of healthcare needs within the scope of medical education, clinical patient care,
- To partner with providers in local and regional communities in addressing the healthcare
needs of area residents.
- To commit resources and influence policy that meets the healthcare needs of the entire
Prepared by SOM Ethics Committee and approved
by the SOM Faculty Council, June 13, 2005