Immunology and Molecular Microbiology
<--Back to Adjunct/Joint Faculty Listing
Brian Reilly, PhD
Assistant Professor Biological Sciences, TTU
Joint Associate Professor Immunology and Molecular Microbiology
Associate Professor Biological Sciences
Brian Reilly, PhD
Autoimmunity, Complement and complement receptors on T- and B-cells.
CD4+ T-cells display an array of functions that can be traced to distinct lineages of thymocytes or to a variety of effector fates open to a naïve T cell. The path taken during thymic development and during activation in the periphery depends not only on signals received through the TCR, but also on individual signals received through other cellular receptors. Earlier studies, beginning 20 years ago, showed that complement receptor 1 (CD35) exists on a minor population of human CD4+ and CD8+ T-cells. To date, it has not been determined whether expression of this receptor marks a separate lineage of T-cells or the role this receptor plays during T-cell activation. Thus, the long-term goal of our research is to determine the basis of CD35 expression on T-cells and the effect its complement ligands’ C3b and C4b have on T-cell immunity. Understanding how the complement system influences T-cell activity is significant as it will further our basic knowledge of the interaction between innate and adaptive immunity and could be valuable in development of vaccines for autoimmune and infectious diseases, and in therapeutic treatments for various types of cancer.
- Reilly, B.D., S.C. Makrides, P.J. Ford, H.C. Marsh, and C. Mold. 1994. Quantitative analysis of C4b dimer binding to distinct sites on the C3b/C4b receptor (CR1). J. Biol. Chem. 269:7696.
- Reilly, B.D. 1999. Analysis of human C4A and C4B binding to an immune complex in serum. Clin Exp Immunol 117:12.
- Lewis, J.D., B.D. Reilly, and R.K. Bright. 2003. Tumor-associated antigens: From discovery to immunity. Intl. Rev. of Immunol. 22:81.
- Reilly, B.D. 2007. Structural comparison of human C4A3 and C4B1 after proteolytic activation by C1s. Mol. Immunol. 43:800-811.
- B.D. Reilly, A. Pfeiffer, K. Petney, and J.P. Atkinson. 2010. Human peripheral CD4+ T-cells expressing complement receptor 1 (CR1, CD35). J. Immunol 184:138.3
- B.D. Reilly, S. Ketron, S. Hempstead, and J.P. Atkinson. 2010. Expression of CD35 on subsets of human peripheral CD8+ T-cells. J. Immunol. 184:138.18.
For a complete list of publications by Brian Reilly in PubMed click here