Residency Program » Conferences & Education
Like any other rapidly advancing discipline, medicine may be plagued with mistakes
and misuse. However, the surest way to reduce or eliminate inept performance is to
incorporate the most enlightened knowledge into medical practice.
-Donald W. Seldin, M.D.
- Board Review Strategies Emphasis is on board testing techniques and review of multiple choice questions
- House Staff Meeting is a monthly meeting of all TTUHSC residents sponsored by the office of GME. This
meeting serves to update house staff on important institutional issues. Elected officers
of the house staff serve as liaisons on many institutional committees.
- Morning Report A case is prepared by a resident in advance of the conference. Emphasis is placed
on oral presentation, work-up, and differential diagnosis. The resident delivers a
brief, updated aspect of the presentation topic.
- Principles of Medicine Emphasis on In-Training-Exam objectives and basic principles of clinical internal
- Subspecialty Conference Each subspecialty division is assigned to a particular month (e.g. Hematology/ Oncology
in March) and faculty from that subspecialty gives a series of 3 to 4 case-based,
- Journal Club Residents discuss selected articles. Emphasis is on commentary and critical appraisal
of the literature.
- Grand Rounds These are conducted by the Department of Medicine and other institutional faculty
as well as visiting professors. Topics include advances in basic and clinical knowledge
in many fields on Internal Medicine.
- Patient Safety Cased-based medical conference that emphasizes challenges or adverse outcomes associated
with system interactions in medical care.
- Clinical Process Improvement Case-based conference that focuses on quality improvement based on principles of medical
- Principles of Medicine Emphasis In-Training-Exam objectives and basic principles of clinical internal medicine.
Internal Medicine Residents will learn the indications, contraindications, complications,
limitations, and develop technical proficiency in the following procedures
- Venous blood sampling
- Arterial blood sampling
- Central line placement
- Lumbar puncture
- Nasogastric intubation
- Bone marrow aspiration
- Endotracheal intubation
- Arterial line placement
Optional training can occur with the following procedures
- Pulmonary artery catheterization
- Elective cardioversion
- Treadmill exercise testing