Vacation, Sick, Educational Leave
Residents in Internal Medicine are allowed to take vacations on their elective rotations. Residents should inform the program coordinator at a minimum of 30 days in advance of that particular rotation.
YOU MAY NOT TAKE VACATION WHILE DOING A ROTATION AT THE VA or COVENANT.
Once the leave form is completed, it should be submitted to the residency coordinator (Brandi McKinnon)(4B239). Once the program leadership approves your request for leave time, the dates are then sent to the clinic - which allows for blocking your clinic time. You must provide the name of the doctor that will provide coverage for you and they must sign the form as well.
All Clinic cancellations must be completed prior to 30 days in advance
- PGY I, II, & III: 15 working days per year (this cannot be carried over from one year to the next).
- PGY I, II, III: 12 working days per year - can be carried over from year to year.
- Residents will be granted Educational Leave for essential examinations, such as Step III of the USMLE.
- Residents may attend professional meetings . Five educational leave days are allowed for PGY-2 residents. Interns are allowed three days per year for Educational Leave.
- Residents may present information at professional meetings regardless of their current clinical responsibility provided they identify adequate coverage. It is the residents responsibility to find coverage for his/her clinical duties. In these cases, the resident should limit his/her absence from his/her clinical responsibility to the shortest time necessary to travel to the meeting, make the presentation, and return to Lubbock.
- Residents in the PGY-3 year applying for fellowships positions may have 7 days of Educational Leave for both professional meetings and fellowship interviews. Time required beyond 7 days should be taken from vacation.