Leave Policy and Form
Vacation, Sick, Educational Leave
Residents in Internal Medicine will usually take their vacations on their elective
rotations. Residents should inform the service at least four weeks before the start
of that particular rotation if they plan to take vacation on that elective.
YOU MAY NOT TAKE VACATION WHILE DOING A ROTATION AT THE VA.
You must download the leave/cancel clinic form, file it out and take it to the Residency Coordinator (Brandi McKinnon)(4B074). This
will be sent to Patient Services Supervisor - allowing her to block your clinic time.
You must provide the name of the doctor that will provide coverage for you.
All Clinic cancellations must be completed prior to 30 days in advance
- PGY I, II, & III: 15 working days per year (this cannot be carried over from one year
to the next).
- PGY I, II, III: 12 working days per year - can be carried over from year to year.
- Residents will be granted Educational Leave for essential examinations, such as Step
III of the USMLE.
- Residents may attend professional meetings when on elective rotations. They may take
5 working days per year for this Educational Leave.
- Residents may present information at professional meetings regardless of their current
clinical responsibility provided they identify adequate coverage. It is the residents
responsibility to find coverage for his/her clinical duties. In these cases, the resident
should limit his/her absence from his/her clinical responsibility to the shortest
time necessary to travel to the meeting, make the presentation, and return to Lubbock.
- Residents in the PGY-II year applying for fellowships positions may have 7 days of
Educational Leave for both professional meetings and fellowship interviews. Time required
beyond 7 days should be taken from vacation.