Vacation, Sick, Educational Leave
Residents in Internal Medicine are allowed to take vacations on their elective rotations.
Residents should inform the program coordinator at a minimum of 30 days in advance
of that particular rotation.
YOU MAY NOT TAKE VACATION WHILE DOING A ROTATION AT THE VA or COVENANT.
Once the leave form is completed, it should be submitted to the residency coordinator
(Brandi McKinnon)(4B239). Once the program leadership approves your request for leave
time, the dates are then sent to the clinic - which allows for blocking your clinic
time. You must provide the name of the doctor that will provide coverage for you and
they must sign the form as well.
All Clinic cancellations must be completed prior to 30 days in advance
- PGY I, II, & III: 15 working days per year (this cannot be carried over from one year
to the next).
- PGY I, II, III: 12 working days per year - can be carried over from year to year.
- Residents will be granted Educational Leave for essential examinations, such as Step
III of the USMLE.
- Residents may attend professional meetings . Five educational leave days are allowed
for PGY-2 residents. Interns are allowed three days per year for Educational Leave.
- Residents may present information at professional meetings regardless of their current
clinical responsibility provided they identify adequate coverage. It is the residents
responsibility to find coverage for his/her clinical duties. In these cases, the resident
should limit his/her absence from his/her clinical responsibility to the shortest
time necessary to travel to the meeting, make the presentation, and return to Lubbock.
- Residents in the PGY-3 year applying for fellowships positions may have 7 days of
Educational Leave for both professional meetings and fellowship interviews. Time required
beyond 7 days should be taken from vacation.