Laboratory Animal Resources Center
ACLAM Position Statement
American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine Position Statement on Animal Experimentation
Laboratory animal veterinarians play a vital role in the conduct and oversight of research utilizing animals. Their training and experience makes them uniquely qualified to diagnose and treat conditions in animals that affect their health and well-being. As an organization comprised of veterinary professionals skilled in the health care of laboratory animals, the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) believes that it is important to clearly state our position on the use of animals in research and the methods of oversight used to assure public accountability.
The American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine:
- Supports the need for humane biomedical research involving animals;
- Believes humane experimentation involving animals is necessary to provide knowledge vital to preserve and improve health and quality of life for man and animals;
- Recognizes that the use of animals in research, teaching and testing is a privilege;
- Supports regulation of the care and use of animals used, or intended for use, in experimentation that is based on science and allows application of professional judgment and performance standards, when such regulations are uniformly and fairly enforced;
- Supports the use of professional judgment for providing veterinary care in the treatment and prevention of spontaneous and research-related medical conditions in research animals;
- Opposes legislation and regulation that adds to the burden of using animals in research without providing benefit to the animal; and
- Condemns the use of harassment, intimidation, violence, and other activities undertaken for the purpose of thwarting the research community and the life-saving work to which it is dedicated.
For more information, visit the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine website.