Interprofessional Education (IPE)
When students from two or more professions learn about, from and with each other to enable effective collaboration and improve health outcomes (World Health Organization).
Interprofessional Collaborative Practice (IPCP)
When multiple health workers from different backgrounds work together with patients families, carers, and communities to deliver the highest quality of care (World Health Organization).
IPE Collaborative Expert Panel consists of care delivered by intentionally created, usually smaller work groups in health care, who are recognized by others as well as by themselves as having a collective identity and shared responsibility for a patient or group of patients (World Health Organization).
As defined by the IOM (2003), Interprofessional teamwork is a collaborative interaction among interprofession team members to provide quality, individualized care for patients.
Interprofessional Team-based Care
Care delivered by intentionally created, usually relatively small work groups in healthcare, who are recognized by others as well as by themselves as having a collective, identity and shared responsibility for a patient or group of patients, e.g., rapid response team, palliative care team, primary care team, operating room team.
The process by which professionals reflect on and develop ways of practicing that provides an integrated cohesive answer to the needs of the client/family/population ... It involves continuous interaction and knowledge sharing between professionals, organized to solve or explore a variety of education and care issues all while seeking to optimize the patients participation.
- American Interprofessional Health Collaborative
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
- National Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education
- Centre for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education
- Coordinating Center for Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice
- National Interprofessional Competency Framework: Quick Reference Guide
- WHO's Framework for Action on Interprofessional Education and Collaborative Practice