Internal Medicine » Critical Care
Lavi Oud, MD
Chief, Division of Pulmonary & Critical Care
Director of Research, Internal Medicine
Subspecialty: Critical Care
- Fellowship Training: Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit MI
- Residency Training: Morristown Memorial Hospital, Morristown, NJ
- Medical School: Technion Medical School, Haifa, Israel
- Undergraduate School: University of Tel-Avis, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel-Aviv, Israel
The demand for critical care continues to outpace other inpatient acute care services. At the same time, chronic morbidity and long-term mortality of survivors of critical illness outpace the general population, while the mechanisms of this gap remain unknown. Our group’s efforts span the exploration of the determinants of patients’ response to critical illness and its impact on short and long-term outcomes, through development and application of methods to optimize delivery of critical care across the spectrum of inpatient acute care settings. Other recent focus includes examination of the cross-cultural determinants of patient and family decision-making process during critical illness.
- Oud L. Acquired Meningitis due to Staphylococcus capitis in the Absence of Neurological Trauma, Surgery or Implants. Heart Lung 2011;40:467-471 (in press)
- Oud, L. Intra-abdominal Hypertension in Fulminant Clostridium difficile infection – An Under-recognized Treatable Complication. Med Sci Monit 2010; 16:CS110-113.
- Oud L, Spellman CW. The changing evidence on glycemic control in critically ill patients: The basics still count. Insulin 2010; 5:94-99.
- Oud L. The Long-Term Metabolic Outcomes of Dysglycemia During Critical Illness. Crit Care 2010;14:452.
Oud L. Is it over yet? Time for reassessment of the determination of septic shock resolution. Crit Care Med 2006; 34: 576.
- Oud L. Nosocomial viral ventilator-associated pneumonia in the intensive care unit. Intensive Care Med 2006; 32: 613.
- Oud L. Transient hypoxic respiratory failure in a patient with severe hypophosphatemia. Med Sci Monit 2009 ; 15 : CS49-53.
- Oud L. Trichomonal sinusitis in an adolescent patient with multiple trauma. South Med J 2009 ; 102 : 330-32.
- Oud L. From DaNang Lung to Combat Trauma-Associated Acute Lung Injury--Closing the Loop. South Med J 2009; 102: 567-568.
- Oud L. Comment on “A Comparison of Epinephrine and Norepinephrine in Critically Ill Patients”. Intensive Care Med 2009; 35: 1310.
- Oud L. Does body weight matters for the critically ill? It depends when & how you check [Abstract]. Crit Care Med 2009; 37: A374.
- Oud L. Measuring patients’ weight in the digital age: It may depend on where you are & what you use [Abstract]. Crit Care Med 2009; 37: A371.
- Oud L, Hussain I, Mossbarger D, Floyd M, Albin M. Development of new acute lung injury in mechanically ventilated patients – frequency and association with tidal volume [Abstract]. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2008; 177: A388.
- Oud L, Mossbarger D. The feasibility of accounting for pre-ICU fluid fluxes in weight-based prognostication of critically ill patients [Abstract]. Crit Care Med 2008; 36: A93.
- Oud L, Watkins P. Necrotizing Fasciitis Associated with Pregnancy: a Populaton - based Cohort Study. Infect Dis Ther 2014 (In Press)
- De Waele JJ, Rello J, Anzueto A, Moreno R, Lipman J, Sakr Y, Pickkers P, Leone M, Ferguson A, Oud L, Vincent JL, for the EPIC ll Investigators. Infections and use of antibiotics in patients admitted for severe acute pancreatitis: Surg Infect 2014 doi: 10.1089/ sur.2012.228.
- Oud L. Reporting the methodology of height and weight acquisition in studies of the body mass index - bsed prognosis in critically ill patients. J Crit Care 2013;28:640-646.
- Oud L. Professionalism in graduate medical education. JAMA 2013;309:1111.
Honors and Awards:
- 2013 Dean's Clinical Teaching Award, Texas Tech University SOM
- 2011, 2013 Best Teaching Faculty - Department of Internal Medicine, TTUHSC
- 2011 - Who's Who in Medicine and Healthcare
- 2009 - Innovation Award – Medical Center Hospital
- 2009 - Patient Safety and Quality Award – Medical Center Hospital
- 2009 - MCH Volunteer Award