Faculty » Endocrinology
AJ Vinaya Simha, MD
Chief, Division of Endocrinology
Subspecialty: Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
Administrative Office: 432-335-5250
Patient Appointments / Odessa:
Patient Appointments / Midland:
- Fellowship Training: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX (Nutrition & Metabolic Diseases)
- Fellowship Training: University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX (Endocrinology)
- Residency Training: Interfaith Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Medical School: All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- Medical School: Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, India
Presentations and Publications:
- Simha V, Garg A. Body fat distribution and metabolic derangements in patients with Familial Partial Lipodystrophy associated with Mandibuloacral Dysplasia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002;87:776-785.
- Oral EA, Simha V, Ruiz E, Sebring N, Andewelt A, Premkumar A, Snell P, Wagner A, DePaoli A, Reitman ML, Taylor SI, Gorden P, Garg A. Leptin replacement therapy for lipodystrophy. N Engl J Med 2002;346:570-578.
- Simha V, Zerwekh JA, Wagner A, DePaoli A, Sakhaee K, Garg A. Effect of leptin replacement therapy on bone metabolism - J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2002 Nov; 87(11): 4942-5.
- Simha V, Szczepaniak LS, Wagner A, DePaoli A, Garg A. Effect of leptin replacement on intrahepatic and intramyocellular lipid content in patients with generalized lipodystrophy. Diabetes Care. 2003 Jan; 26(1): 30-5.
- Simha V, Agarwal AK, Oral EA, Fryns JP, Garg A. Genetic and phenotypic heterogeneity in patients with mandibuloacral dysplasia-associated lipodystrophy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88(6): 2821-4.
- Agarwal AK, Simha V, Oral EA, Moran SA, Gorden P, O'Rahilly S, Zaidi Z, Gurakan F, Arslanian SA, Klar A, Ricker A, White NH, Bindl L, Herbst K, Kennel K, Patel SB, Al-Gazali L, Garg A. Phenotypic and genetic heterogeneity in congenital generalized lipodystrophy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Oct; 88(10): 4840-7.
- Simha V, Garg A. Phenotypic heterogeneity in body fat distribution in patients with congenital generalized lipodystrophy caused by mutations in AGPAT2 or seipin genes. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003; 88(11): 5433-7.
- O’Neill B, Simha V, Kotha V and Garg A. Body fat distribution and metabolic variables in patients with neonatal progeroid syndrome. Am J Med Genetics Part A. 2007; 143A:1421-1430.
- Simha V, Agarwal AK, Aronin PA, Iannoccone ST and Garg A. Novel subtype of Congenital Generalized Lipodystrophy associated with muscular weakness and cervical spine instability. Am J Med Genetics Part A 2008; 146A:2318-2326.
- Simha V, Rao S and Garg A. Prolonged thiazolidinedione therapy does not reverse fat loss in patients with Familial Partial Lipodystrophy, Dunnigan variety. Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism 2008, 10:1275-1276.
- Keller J, Subramanyam L, Simha V, Gustafson R, Minjarez D and Garg A. Lipodystrophy: an unusual diagnosis in a case of oligomenorrhea and hirsutism. Obstet Gynecol 2009; 114:427-433.
- Garg A, Subramanyam L, Agarwal AK, Simha V, Levine B, D'Apice MR, Novelli G and Crow Y. Atypical progeroid syndrome due to heterozygous missense LMNA mutations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:4971-4983.
- Subramanyam L, Simha V and Garg A. Overlapping syndrome with familial partial lipodystrophy, Dunnigan variety and cardiomyopahy due to amino-terminal heterozygous missense lamin A/C mutations. Clin Genet. 2010;78(1):66-73.
- Ahmed K, Rao S and Simha V. ANCA-positive vasculitis in a patient with Graves’ disease: cross-reaction between Propylthiouracil and Methimazole. Endocr Pract. 2010;16(3):449-51.
- Shastry S, Simha V, Godbole K, Sbraccia P, Melancon S, Yajnik CS, Novelli G, Kroiss M, Garg A. A Novel Syndrome of Mandibular Hypoplasia, Deafness, and Progeroid Features Associated with Lipodystrophy, Undescended Testes, and Male Hypogonadism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010 Jul 14.
- Shrikanth V, Vanderheiden A and Simha V. Spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage following ingestion of anti-migraine medication, Midrin. submitted for publication April 2010.
- Simha V. Adult-onset diabetes mellitus: How do we get there? Nat Med J India 2004; 17(5):256.
- Simha V, Garg A. Lipodystrophy: lessons in lipid and energy metabolism. Current Opinion in Lipidology 2006; 17: 162-169.
- Simha V, Agarwal AK. Inherited and Acquired lipodystrophies: disorders of adipose tissue development, differentiation and death. In: Adipose tissue and adipokines in health and disease, Eds., Fantuzzi G and Mazzone T. Pub: Humana Press Inc., 2006 pp 239-256.
- Shah M, Simha V, Garg A. Long-Term Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Body Weight, Co-Morbidities, Mortality, Quality of Life, and Nutritional Status. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006 Nov; 91(11):4223-31.
- Simha V, Garg A. Atypical forms of type 2 Diabetes. In Bethel MA and Feinglos M (eds). Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: An Evidence-Based Approach to Practical Management. Humana Press Inc., 2008 pp 413-431.
- Garg A, Simha V. Update on Dyslipidemia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007. 92: 1581-1589.
- Simha V. Dietary carbohydrates and risk of type 2 Diabetes: are rice eaters doomed? Natl Med J India 2008; 21(2):80-81.
- Simha V and Garg A. Inherited lipodystrophies and hypertriglyceridemia. Current Opinion in Lipidology 2009; 20(4):300-308.