About TTUHSC at Amarillo
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center began operations in Amarillo with the
School of Medicine in 1972, offering elective clinical rotations in space borrowed
from Northwest Texas Healthcare System and the Veterans Affairs Health Care System.
A more permanent location at 1400 Coulter was built in 2002.
Family Medicine began training resident physicians in 1974, followed by Pediatrics
in 1978, Obstetrics and Gynecology in 1979 and Internal Medicine in 1988. The first
medical students entered class in Amarillo in 1978. Class sizes have steadily grown
from the initial group of five students to 62 third and fourth year students in January
2009. Richard Jordan, M.D., is the regional dean of the Amarillo School of Medicine
The School of Health Professions opened in 1994 with a temporary location at the Amarillo
Speech and Hearing Center . The school now trains approximately 60 students annually
in the areas of physical therapy. Michael Hooten, Ed.D., serves as the regional dean
of the Amarillo School of Health Professions.
The School of Pharmacy ground breaking for a new four story building took place in
1994. The school accepted its first class of 64 Doctor of Pharmacy students in August
1996 and graduated its charter class in the spring of 2000. Currently there are 120
students enrolled in professional and post-graduate programs. Quentin R. Smith, Ph.D. is
the dean of the School of Pharmacy.