Research & Publications
TTUHSC Department of Internal Medicine Faculty Research and Scholarly Activity
Published (or accepted for publication) articles
1. Khasawneh FA, Smalligan RD, “Guidewire-Related Complications During Central Venous
Catheter Placement: A Case Report and Review of the Literature” Accepted to Case Reports
in Critical Care Medicine 2011 Sep.
1. Smalligan RD, Khandheria B, Richey H, Bell T, Jordan R, Weis B, “Preparing for
a Shock: A Pilot Simulation Internship for Incoming Residents.” Journal of General
Internal Medicine, May 2011 Vol 26(S1):S571.
NATIONAL Scientific MEETINGS
1. Islam M, Hamby P, Smalligan RD, “Renal Tumor-Pneumothorax-Skin Lesions: Where the
Bird Dog Points (Birt-Hogg-Dube Syndrome)” National Scientific Meeting of the Society
of General Internal Medicine, Phoenix, AZ (May, 2011)
REGIONAL / STATE Scientific MEETINGS
1. DeLeon E, Ahmed J, Smalligan RD, “An Ominous Headache: Cerebral Venous Thrombosis
in a Normal Young Man.” Oral presentation to the Adult Clinical Case Symposium of
the Southern Regional Meeting of the American Federation of Medical Research, New
Orleans, LA, February 9, 2012.
1. Leigh Johnson, PhD, Joanna Wilson, DO, Betsy Jones, EdD, Robert Casanova, MD, Bradley
Miller, MD and Simon Williams, PhD, Marjorie R. Jenkins, MD, Development of a Longitudinal
Curriculum in Gender Specific Medicine and Women’s Health, Women’s Health Congress,
Washington, DC, April 2011 First Place Award
Book Chapter Publications
1. Urban S, Smalligan R, Chua M, 13th edition of Medicine: Pretest Self-Assessment
and Review McGraw Hill Companies. 2012.