Health Care Provider Educational Links and Information
Tech Talks Bones Osteoporosis Newsletter
A newsletter provided to our Panhandle and regional providers to help us all stay up to date in this rapidly developing field and how to utilize the clinical information provided by our densitometry unit.
||International Society for Clinical Densitometry. ISCD. An internationally based organization dedicated to the advancement of education and knowledge in the field of bone mineral densitometry. This is the organization that provides the curriculum and testing leading to certification of providers who provide interpretation of bone mineral density testing.
|Our center of excellence for osteoporosis uses the ISCD guidelines and recommendations in our interpretation and reporting of bone mineral density testing. www.ISCD.org
||National Osteoporosis Foundation. NOF. A volunteer organization that is solely dedicated to osteoporosis and bone health.
|We frequently reference their recommendations for treatment thresholds.
Provides first copy of Professionals Clinical Guidelines FREE.
Provides information for providers and patients.
||National Institutes of Health: Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases, National Resource Center. This is a part of the US Dept of Health and Human Services' National Institutes of Health. Their mission statement states "â€¦is dedicated to increasing the awareness, knowledge and understanding of physicians, health professionals, patients, underserved and at-risk populations (such as Hispanic and Asian women, adolescents, and men) and the general public about the prevention, early detection and treatment of osteoporosis and related bone diseases."
|Good resource for patient information sheets in English and non-English languages.
Good links not only for osteoporosis but for other metabolic bone disease
Medications frequently encountered in the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis and esteopenia
- Risedronate sodium
- Trade name: Actonel, manufactured by Proctor and Gamble http://www.fightfractures.com/global/prescribingInfo.jsp
- Trade name: Fosamax, manufactured by Merck and Co.
- links to PDF of the prescribing information for Fosamax
Calcitonin-salmon nasal spray
- Trade name: Miacalcin, manufactured by Novartis
- links to PDF of the prescribing information for Miacalcin
- links to patient education, clinical tools, etc.
- Trade name: Forteo, manufactured by Eli Lilly and Co
- links to PDF of the prescribing information for Forteo
Estrogen replacement therapy
- There are multiple different sources for estrogen replacement as well as cyclic vs daily administration patterns. The provider is referred to these resources for review of ERT, osteoporosis and standard regimens.
Trade name:Â Evista, manufactured by Eli Lilly and Company
Links to a PDF of the prescribing information for Evista
This is the summary of the newly released ACOG State-of-the-Art Guide to Hormone Therapy found in the October issue of ACOG's Obstetrics and Gynecology journal
North American Menopause Society. Recommendations for Estrogen and Progestogen Use in Peri-and Postmenopausal Women: October 2004 Position Statement of the North American Menopause Society