Pediatric Requirements and Resident Selection Process
We are glad that you are interested in our Pediatric Program at TTUHSC in Amarillo. The decision making process for selecting resident applicants through the match is a complex process. We are looking for candidates who are predicted to achieve the milestones in the areas in the ACGME competencies including: Patient Care, Medical Knowledge, Interpersonal Skills and Communication, Professionalism, Systems-Based Practice, Practice-Based Learning and Improvement and Professional Development. We are interested in the candidate’s academic achievement, engagement in learning, intellectual curiosity, commitment to service, initiative, and engagement with others.
All applications must be received through ERAS. We review USLME scores (first attempt), transcripts/grades, personal statements, 3 letters of recommendation, research, evidence of volunteerism and leadership. Generally, the ERAS application is complete before interview invitations are dispersed. The ERAS application must include transcripts from approved medical schools, Dean’s letter, three letters of recommendation, personal statement. ECFMG Certification is required for all International Medical Graduates.
Our program requirements, details, and facts are the following:
1. Must be a graduate from an American Allopathic/Osteopathic Medical School or an approved International Medical School.
2. Must meet Texas Medical Board Requirements (see licensing requirements of the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/)
3. Must be eligible for licensure in the state of Texas following completion of residency.
4. Applicants must be a US Citizen, a permanent resident or possess a J-1 Visa; we do not support other visas.
5. Do you require any U.S. clinical experience? No, we do not.
6. We do not offer observerships.
7. What is the deadline for receiving applications? December 1st
8. What is your timeline for conducting interviews? End of October/First part of November - January
9. How can I apply to your program? All applications must be submitted through ERAS.
10. Do you offer a transitional year (PGY-1) with your program? No.
11. How many positions are you offering through the match this year? 6
12. Do you have a cut-off for USMLE scores to consider the application? We require residency applicants to have outstanding USMLE scores. Passage is usually in the first attempt.
13. Does the program require USMLE Step 2 and USMLE Step 3 be completed by a certain date to be considered as an applicant? USMLE Step 2 must be completed prior to the match. We recommend taking USMLE Step 3 before you start residency. However, it is required to be taken before the end of PGY1 and passed before March of PGY2.
14. Does your program accept international medical graduates (IMG’s)? Yes
15. What types of visas do you sponsor? We only sponsor green card and J-1 Visa's.
15. How many call days are residents required to take each month? PL1 residents do not take traditional call. In general, they have 12-16 hour night shifts, Monday through Friday for 2 tour week blocks and some weekend call on other rotations.
16. Do you require research? Research is not required but strongly encouraged.
17. What electives are offered? Adolescent Behavior, Cardiology, Developmental Behavioral, Gastroenterology, Genetics, Hematology & Oncology, Endocrinology, and Nephrology. We offer rotations in Lubbock, specifically Infectious Diseases, Neurology, and Pulmonary.
This graph demonstrates the average USMLE scores for accepted PL1 residents at TTUHSC Amarillo for the past 4 years. We have had over 1000 applications each year for 2010, 2011 and 2012.
We begin rolling schedule for invitations to interview, beginning the end of October or 1st part of November. We complete the majority of interviews by first part of January. The candidates meet residents for dinner the night before the interview day.
Other helpful websites are http://www.ttuhsc.edu/amarillo/som/PED/
For addition questions, please contact our Pediatric Coordinator, Jamie Leavitt via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.