TTUHSC Financial Aid
HomeFinancial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions


Which FAFSA should I submit to apply for financial aid?

Each new aid year begins with summer at the HSC. Students attending from the summer of 2017 through the spring of 2018 should submit the 2017-2018 FAFSA.

What is the school code for the Health Sciences Center?

Please note that the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center and Texas Tech University are two separate institutions. The school code for the TTUHSC is 016024.

Do I need to be admitted to apply for financial aid?

No. A student may submit a FAFSA at any time, but financial aid will not be awarded until the prospective student is admitted into an eligible program.

Do I need to include my parents' information on the FAFSA?

Undergraduate students can determine if they need to provide parental information by visiting the FAFSA Help page and clicking the "Parents" FAQs. Students enrolling in a graduate or professional program do not need to provide parental information on the FAFSA.

How often do I need to apply for financial aid?

Students must apply each year. Each new aid year starts with the summer semester and continues through the following spring semester. 

Where does the money come from?

U.S. Department of Education - Title IV Programs  

(Most Federal financial aid is provided through the Department of Education.)

Department of Health and Human Services Title VII Programs

State Financial Aid - Texas

Institutional Financial Aid - Scholarships

Scholarship funds are available through each of the schools. Visit your school's scholarship website for more information and application deadlines.

Other / Outside Sources of Financial Aid (Note: Service commitments are often required.)

Alternative / Private Loan Programs

A number of market rate loan programs are available to health profession students through the private sector. This information is neither an endorsement of any program nor a complete listing of available programs. Verify the accuracy of the information with private loan program officials.

I received an outside schlarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?

Yes. If you are receiving financial aid, you must report the scholarship to the financial aid office. The university will adjust your financial aid package to allow room for the scholarship. The outside scholarship is beneficial because your student loan eligibility will be reduced and replaced with the scholarship funds. Scholarships help to reduce the amount of loan money you will have to repay when you leave school or graduate.

Where can I see if I have missing information?

Students may view their missing information by following these steps: Login to Web Raider. Click the HSC MyTECH tab. Scroll to the Manage My Finances section and select Documentation Requested and Submitted. Select Student Requirements. Select the appropriate aid year from the drop down menu and click Submit. Any missing information will be listed on this page.

What is a Tax Return Transcript and where can I get one?

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (forms 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed with the IRS. You can obtain your transcript by visiting the IRS's website or visiting your local IRS office.

Do I need to fill out an expected enrollment questionnaire?

Yes. All students applying for financial aid are required to answer the expected enrollment questionnaire on Web Raider. This information is used to prepare the student's financial aid package.

When will I get my financial aid refund?

Student Business Services will issue a refund 1-2 business days after financial aid has been disbursed to your tuition bill. Please allow an additional 3-4 business days to receive your refund via direct deposit or 5-6 days for a paper check to arrive in the mail.

Why have my student loans not disbursed to pay my tuition bill?

There are several reasons your loans may not have disbursed.

  1. You must be enrolled at least half time for your loans to be released. (This is 6 hours for undergraduate students. Graduate students must register for a minimum of 5 hours during the fall/spring and 3 hours during the summer.)
  2. Students will not receive a financial aid disbursement while on suspension due to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  3. Students must complete Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory note for their student loan(s) to disburse.
  4. Financial aid disbursements do not occur on the last business day of each month.

How much does tuition cost for my program?

Tuition and fees are assessed by Student Business Services.

If your financial aid file is complete, an estimate of your tuition and fees for the current aid year will be listed in the Award Overview section of Web Raider. Otherwise, you may visit Student Business Services' website to view an estimate of tuition and fees.

What are my rights and responsibilities?

Your Rights:

  1. To know what financial aid programs are available at TTUHSC.
  2. To know the deadlines for submitting the appropriate applications for each financial aid program that is available.
  3. To know how your financial need was determined, including how various expenses in your budget are considered.
  4. To know what resources are considered in the calculation of your financial aid package.
  5. To consult with the Financial Aid Office staff concerning your financial aid application, budgeting and/or financial problems which might arise.

Your Responsibilities:

  1. To complete all application forms accurately and submit them on time.
  2. To provide correct information. Misreporting information can be a violation of federal law and may be an indictable criminal offense.
  3. To provide additional documentation, verification, information, or corrections as requested by the Financial Aid Office.
  4. To read, understand and retain copies of all forms you sign.
  5. To accept responsibility for all agreements you sign.
  6. To understand the sources of financial aid you receive and whether the aid is a loan, grant, or scholarship. If the aid is a loan, you must know to whom repayment is to be made and the terms of repayment.
  7. To keep the Financial Aid Office informed of your correct address at all times, during school and aftergraduation, until all loans are repaid in full.
  8. To inform the Financial Aid Office of status changes, such as marriage, divorce, child birth, employment of self or spouse, etc.
  9. To arrange for an exit interview with the Financial Aid Office prior to your separation from TTUHSC, either by graduation or withdrawal.

What is the tuition refund policy of the Health Sciences Center?

Students that withdrawal from TTUHSC may be eligible for a partial refund of tuition and fees paid for that semester. The refund policy can be viewed in its entirety at Student Business Services' website.

What happens to my financial aid if I withdrawal from TTUHSC?

It is important for students who receive financial aid and don't complete the semester (withdraw, drop all courses, receive all F's, etc.) to understand the impact this will have on aid that has already been released and continued financial aid eligibility.

The requirements for the Title IV program funds are determined by the Department of Education and are different/separate from the university's tuition refund policy. As such, you are responsible for unpaid institutional charges (tuition, fees, late fees, etc.) remaining after the refund calculation has been made by Student Business Services. You are also responsible for balances created by the school's return of Title IV program funds to the Department of Education.

Federal Refund and Repayment calculations must be performed for students who receive Title IV funds (federal Pell, SEOG, Perkins, and Direct Loans) and who:

  1. officially withdrawal from all courses,
  2. drop out of all courses,
  3. are expelled,
  4. take an approved leave of absence,
  5. take an unapproved leave of absence,
  6. fail to return from an approved leave of absence prior to the 60% date of the term,
  7. receive grades of all "F" for a semester/term,
  8. or, other actions in which the student's enrollment and/or attendance cease.

A student's withdrawal date (last date of attendance) is:

  1. the date the student initiates the official withdrawal process, or the
  2. date the student ceased to attendance without providing official notification (unofficial withdrawal), or the
  3. date of the student's last attendance based on documented academically related activity.

All unearned financial aid must be returned to the federal aid program(s) as determined by the Federal Refund and Repayment calculations.

Unofficial Withdrawal:

Any student who fails to complete each of the steps of the withdrawal procedure and/or follow the proper check out procedures to officially withdraw from the university will receive a grade of "F" in the applicable class(es). Students receiving financial assistance who are in this situation may be in danger of immediate repayment or collections of student loans / financial aid.

The Federal Formula:

The Federal Formula is applicable to any student receiving federal aid, if the student withdrawals on or before the 60% point in the term. After this point in the term the student has earned 100% of the Title IV funds released for the term. 

Number of days attended ÷ Days in semester = % of semester completed

Total $ disbursed X % completed = Earned $

Total $ disbursed - Earned $ = $ to be returned

If you have questions about your Title IV program funds, you can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FEDAID(1-800-433-3243). TTY users may call 1-800-730-8913. Information is also available on Student Aid on the Web

Where can I find my R Number (student ID number)?

Your Raider ID Number will be listed at the top of the screen, underneath your name, when you login to the Web Raider Portal.

My lender is billing me. How can I verify that I am still attending school?

Students may need to verify their enrollment status while at TTUHSC. This official document can be sent to various agencies and organizations, including loan companies, health insurance, future employers, automobile dealers, credit card companies, or anyone you have authorized to receive your information. You can request an Enrollment Verification after the census date at Web Raider Portal under the registration tab or contact the Office of the Registrar at 806-743-2300 for assistance.

The Registrar's Office can only provide an enrollment verification after the census date of that term. The census date is the date defined by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) on which an official and final enrollment count has submitted and recorded to the THECB. The actual day on which the census date falls is contingent on the length of the semester.