For students who are not citizens/permanent residents of the U.S.
The following requirements should be followed carefully in order for an applicant to be considered for a program at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, School of Health Professions. Applicants should also check the websites of the specific programs to which they are applying to determine if the programs have any additional requirements. Please use your name as it appears on your passport on your application and all other communication with TTUHSC.
F-1 Visa Applicants
Our Physician Assistant Studies program is not approved to admit F-1 visa students at this time. Our Doctor of Physical Therapy program on the Odessa campus is not approved to admit F-1 visa students at this time.
Application: Applications must be complete and submitted online. The applicant’s name must be the same as it appears on the passport. All Institutions attended must be included on the application. Falsification of application information will void admission to Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center.
Non-Refundable Application Fee: A $75 non-refundable application fee is required for each application submitted through the Merlin System.
Official Proof of English Proficiency: All international applicants must provide proof of English proficiency from one of the following before their applications can be considered for admission:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language; www.toefl.org) - The minimum TOEFL score required is 550 (paper-based version) or 79 (internet-based version). The TOEFL score must be received directly from the Educational Testing Service (ETS); Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center’s institutional code is 6851. TOEFL scores are valid for only two years.
- IELTS International English Language Testing Service; www.ielts.org) - The minimum IELTS required score is an overall band score of 6.5 on the Academic version; IELTS General Training results are not acceptable. There is no IELTS institution code for Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. IELTS scores are valid for only two years.
Countries exempt from the English language proficiency requirement
- Canada (except the Province of Quebec)
- Commonwealth Caribbean Countries:
- The Bahamas
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- Republic of Ireland
- New Zealand
- United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Whales)
- United States
Official TOEFL score reports or official IELTS results are required from all other countries, unless the applicant has received a degree from an accredited college/university in one of the above-listed countries.
TOEFL can also be waived based on SAT and ACT scores, at the School's discretion.
TOEFL can also be waived if the student took 4 consecutive long semesters of credit-bearing/non-development/non-ESL courses at an accredited post-secondary school in the U.S.
Foreign Transcripts: International applicants that have taken any courses outside the U.S., must have a foreign transcript evaluation from a foreign transcript evaluation agency. We do not mandate evaluations come from a certain company; however, they must be a course by course evaluation.
Foreign transcript evaluations must be official, coming to us directly from the evaluation agency.
If multiple Institutions outside the U.S. have been attended, the evaluation must include all institutions attended.
We will accept course-by-course evaluations from the following services:
- WORLD EDUCATION SERVICES
fax: (212) 739-6139
- FOREIGN CREDENTIALS SERVICE OF AMERICA
Dr. William J. Paver, Director
1910 Justin Lane
Austin, TX 78757
phone: (512) 459-8428
fax: (512) 459-4565
- INTERNATIONAL ACADEMIC CREDENTIAL EVALUATORS, INC.
P.O. Box 2465
Denton, TX 76202-2465
fax: (940) 382-4874
- GLOBAL CREDENTIAL EVALUATORS, INC.
P.O. Box 9203
College Station, TX 77842
fax: (512) 528-9293
We will not accept foreign transcript evaluations from Foreign Credentialing Commission on Physical Therapy, Inc. (FCCPT).
Proof of Financial Support: International applicants must provide proof of financial support as part of their application materials. Proof of funding can be by any of the means below:
- Student can support themselves. Required documents:
- Student must submit a copy of their bank statement.
- No financial statement is needed.
- Student can have a sponsor. Required documents:
- Student must submit a copy of the sponsor’s bank statement.
- A financial statement stating their intent to sponsor.
Passport: International applicants need to submit a copy of their passport.