Teaming Up to Address Mental Health in West Texas
West Texas Mental Health Collaborative Unveils Meadows Report Findings and Status of Region’s Mental Health
In 2016, Billy Philips, Ph.D., Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) executive vice president for Rural and Community Health, and John Opperman, Ph.D., Texas Tech University (TTU) vice chancellor for Academic Affairs, discussed the importance of convening community partners who have a stake in mental health services in Lubbock. Those conversations led to the establishment of the Texas Tech Mental Health Initiative (TTMHI). The initiative works to establish clinical, education and research opportunities to bring together faculty from TTUHSC and TTU.
Now these efforts will connect through the West Texas Mental Health Collaborative (WTMHC) to work with community partners currently providing mental health care services and with individuals who are working to support families that are experiencing mental health challenges.
- NANCY TREVINO, PH.D. - TTUHSC Director of Mental Health Initiative
- SARAH MALLARD WAKEFIELD, M.D. - TTUHSC Chair of Psychiatry
- LORI RICE-SPEARMAN, PH.D. - TTUHSC President
- Community Partners
- Beth Lawson - StarCare
- MIKE RAGAIN, M.D. - UMC Health System
- LEE TURNER - Covenant Health System
- CURTIS PARRISH - LUBBOCK COUNTY