SLHS Frequently Asked Questions | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center

Pre-Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences

Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC)
School of Health Professions (SHP)
Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS)

Application/Admissions Process:

Where can I find TTUHSC application materials for the SLHS Undergraduate Program?

Application materials for the School of Health Professions can be found at SHP Application. For the undergraduate program, indicate that you are applying for the Speech Language and Hearing Sciences, Bachelors.

What are the admission requirements for the TTUHSC Undergraduate Program?

Admission requires a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better. A list of prerequisite courses can be found at Admission Requirements. All prerequisites must be completed by the start of classes in the fall.

Does it matter where I take the prerequisite courses?

No, you may take prerequisites courses at any regionally accredited college or university in the state of Texas.

What courses should I take for a general elective?

Elective courses can be anything you want! Elective courses do not have to be related to the field of speech and hearing.

What science courses will work for the science prerequisites?

Effective in September of 2014, the American Speech-Language- Hearing Association (ASHA) requires that all candidates for certification in speech-language pathology and audiology have an undergraduate course in life science (course title and description must specify biology, animal or human A&P, or human genetics) and physical science (course title and description must specify chemistry or physics). You may enroll in these courses in a traditional classroom, online, or via correspondence at any college or university, as long as they meet the above-listed requirements.

Who can I contact to make sure I have the correct prerequisite courses for the program?

You can be advised by the Office of Admissions & Student Affairs at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (806-743-3220; OR the Office of Pre-Professional Health Careers in Room 205 of Holden Hall on the TTU campus (806-742-3078). If you are not currently a TTU student, you can still be advised by the TTUHSC Office of Admissions and Student Affairs. Simply call or email to schedule an advising appointment.

When is the deadline to apply to the TTUHSC Undergraduate Program?

Priority in application review and admission into the program will be given to those applicants who have verified and completed applications by April 1st. Applications completed between April 1st and July 1st will be reviewed in order of completion and only considered for admission if there is still availability in the cohort. An application must be verified and all other requirements must be received by the deadline. Applicants who meet the April 1st application deadline will be informed of admission decisions by May 1st. The SLHS programs begin in the fall semester each year. Please visit the SHP Application for deadline information. Note: You do NOT have to complete all prerequisite courses prior to applying. You must have a plan in place for how all courses will be completed by August 15th.

I applied to the TTUHSC SLHS Undergraduate Program by the March 1 deadline. It is time to pre-register for fall courses, but I have not heard about whether or not I was accepted to the TTUHSC SLHS Program. What should I do?

It is always good to have a “back-up” plan. Thus, you may go ahead and register for fall courses at your current university as a “back-up.” If you are admitted to the TTUHSC SLHS Program (You will know by May 1 if your application was complete by April 1), you will simply drop your fall courses at your current university and enroll in your TTUHSC courses instead.

Do I need to declare a major or minor before entering the TTUHSC SLHS Undergraduate Program?

Some colleges require you to declare an official major once you have earned > 40 credit hours, although if you declare a pre-professional health careers program such as pre-speech, language, and hearing sciences as your major, you can actually continue to list this as your major until you reach 75 credit hours. You may declare any “temporary” major you wish (e.g., education, human development and family studies, psychology) as long as you complete the required prerequisite courses. Once you are admitted to the SLHS professional program, SLHS will become your official major.

You are not required to declare or earn a minor, and TTUHSC does not offer the option of earning a minor; therefore, if you do choose to earn a minor, it must be completed before entering TTUHSC (Note: Minors often require a combination of lower and upper level courses and a total of 18 hours in one specialty area). TTUHSC will not print your minor on your official transcript or diploma when you graduate; however, the minor coursework will appear on your official transcript at the institution from which you earned your minor.
You can legitimately list your minor on a resume or job application.

About the Program:

What is the cost of tuition for the TTUHSC SLHS Program?

For current tuition rates, please visit SHP Tuition

Are volunteer or observation hours required or recommended before entering the undergraduate program at TTUHSC?

The TTUHSC Department of SLHS does not endorse or require undergraduate student volunteer hours at particular facilities. Thus, no paperwork/formal documentation is required. However, we strongly encourage students to independently seek volunteer opportunities that will expose them to the professions of speech-language pathology, audiology, and related health care or educational disciplines. We advocate use of the honor system for reporting your hours, and our Admissions Committee periodically checks with facilities to verify your experience. Because TTUHSC has a graduate program in speech-language pathology, many Lubbock professionals already allow graduate students to intern at their facilities. Thus, it is recommended that pre-SLHS students contact professional speech-language pathologists in their hometown (outside of Lubbock) and request to observe, shadow, or volunteer during Winter, Spring, or Summer breaks.

When do I have to decide between a career in speech-language pathology or audiology?

You do not have to make a decision between speech-language pathology and audiology until you are choosing which graduate program to attend. When you enter the SLHS Undergraduate Program, you will enroll in courses from both disciplines because hearing and speech are integrally related. In graduate school, the field you choose (SLP or AuD) will be your “major” and the other one will be your automatic, unofficial “minor.”

How can I get involved in the field of speech and hearing before entering the SLHS Undergraduate Program?

Before entering the undergraduate program at TTUHSC, you can consider joining your local chapter of Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) for future health professionals. Information about the national organization can be found at HOSA website.

Also, consider taking COMS 2350 on TTU's general academic campus if you are in Lubbock. This introductory course to speech and hearing is taught by a TTUHSC faculty member and is offered every fall semester. This course will count as one of the social and behavioral science independent/group behavior prerequisite courses; however, it is NOT mandatory. Therefore, if you do not attend TTU or cannot fit the course into your schedule, it is not a problem.

Most importantly, if you are a TTU student, join the Pre-Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (Pre-SLHea; pronounced “Presley”) Organization on the TTU campus. This organization provides invited talks from professional speech-language pathologists and audiologists and service/volunteer opportunities. Contact the TTU Office of Pre-Professional Health Careers (PPHC) at 806-742-3078 (located in Holden Hall, Room 205) for more information.

What is the 2nd degree program?

The post-baccalaureate 2nd degree program is designed for students who have already earned an undergraduate degree in another field and need to complete the speech and hearing prerequisite (leveling) courses required for entering a graduate program in speech-language pathology OR working as a licensed speech-language pathology assistant. Additional information can be found on the 2nd degree webpage

What kind of dress is expected?

You may wear casual clothes to class. When you observe or participate in clinic, you are expected to wear business casual attire that is both comfortable and modest.

What careers are possible with a bachelor’s degree in SLHS?

With a bachelor’s degree in SLHS, you are eligible to apply to a graduate program for either a master’s degree in speech-language pathology or a
clinical doctorate in audiology. You can visit American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Careers for further information about careers in speech-language pathology and audiology. You could also apply for a master’s degree in a related field, such as reading, education of the hearing impaired, special education, rehabilitation counseling, or health care administration.

If you decide not to go to graduate school, here are some possible options for employment:

  • Licensed Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA)
  • Licensed Hearing Aid Specialist (with additional training)
  • Early Intervention Specialist (EIS)
  • Case worker at a state agency (e.g., Department of Assistive &
    Rehabilitation Services (DARS), Department of Health and Human
    Services (DHHS), Department of State Health Services (DSHS))
  • Activities Director at a long-term care facility
  • Child Care Provider
  • Teacher’s aide or substitute teacher for public school
  • Unit coordinator at a hospital

Is TTUHSC part of Texas Tech Univeristy (TTU), or is it a separate university?

While both TTU and TTUHSC are part of the TTU System, they are separate institutions. Once admitted to TTUHSC, you will register for courses, pay tuition, attend classes, obtain TTUHSC ID badge, access the TTUHSC library, and park your car on the TTUHSC campus. You will also be eligible to maintain a TTU ID card, which allows you access to TTU sporting events, TTU housing, the TTU library, and the TTU recreation center. (Your TTUHSC parking permit will allow you to park in TTU campus commuter lots.)