Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
What Is the Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences?
Our Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) program unlocks the fascinating world of how we talk, listen, and connect. Dive into the science behind it all and discover how to help others overcome communication challenges.
About the Program
Unravel the science of communication and empower lives. The SLHS program unlocks both immediate career paths and a route to graduate studies in fields like audiology and speech-language pathology.
- Dive into the intricacies of human communication: Explore normal speech, language, and hearing development alongside diverse disorders.
- Discover practical skills: Gain a solid academic and clinical foundation to understand and improve communication skills.
- Open doors to tremendous careers: This degree is your launchpad! After graduation, pursue an entry-level position or an advanced degree.
Join our vibrant community! Learn and interact with renowned faculty in an innovative environment focused on audiology and speech-language pathology.
This program is perfect for you if:
- You're fascinated by the science of communication.
- You dream of helping individuals overcome communication challenges.
- You are looking for a career that blends psychology, education, and medicine.
Term program start
As an undergraduate student, you will learn about the normal processes of speech, hearing, and language, and also learn about a variety of communication disorders. Since hearing and speech are so closely related, you will get exposure to both areas of the profession. A graduate degree is required to practice as a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. The undergraduate program here at TTUHSC prepares students for graduate school. As an undergraduate, you won’t have to choose between speech-language pathology and audiology until you decide to pursue graduate-level work.
In the bachelor’s program, you will also complete all required coursework to become a licensed speech-language pathology assistant.
You can find more information about the program on our FAQ page.
Careers With a Bachelor's in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
Branch out into a world of possibilities after graduation! Our versatile undergraduate program equips you with the knowledge and skills to launch into a range of exciting careers like:
- Licensed Speech-Language-Pathology Assistant (SLP-A): Support speech-language pathologists to provide services for individuals with communication disorders.
- Caseworker at a State Agency: Assist individuals and families in accessing essential services and resources.
- Early Intervention Specialist: Support the development of young children with special needs.
- Licensed Hearing Aid Specialist (with additional training): Help individuals with
hearing loss find the right technology to improve their lives.
This degree is also a springboard for graduate-level education in fields like:
- Speech-Language Pathology: Empower individuals to find their voice and overcome communication challenges.
- Audiology: Enhance the lives of others by diagnosing and treating hearing and balance disorders.
- Education: Shape young minds and inspire a love of learning.
- Healthcare Administration: Make a difference behind the scenes, ensuring the smooth
operation of healthcare facilities.
The future looks bright for these careers, especially in the field of speech-language pathology. Nationally, job growth for SLP-As is projected to soar 10%-14% through 2026, outpacing the average for all occupations. In Texas, the demand is even higher, with a projected job growth of 21% for health care support workers!
With our program, you can be well-positioned to seize these exciting opportunities and make a real difference in the lives of others. Start exploring your options today!
Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Curriculum
Become a part of the fascinating world of human communication with courses like Introduction to Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology. However, your journey doesn't end with theory. Clinical observations turn academic concepts into life-changing experiences. Master essential skills in classes like Language Disorders and Clinical Methods. These courses will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to succeed in diverse careers or pursue graduate studies.
- Introduction to Audiology.
- Introduction to Speech-Language Pathology.
- Language Disorders
- Clinical Methods
- Neural Bases of Communication, Hearing, and Swallowing.
Successful completion of the program culminates in the Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences degree.
“I’ve never experienced anything quite like my time at the TTUHSC, in the best kind
of way. I entered into the undergraduate program nervous and unsure, but I left with
a top-notch education, sweet memories, professors who felt like family, and a flourishing
passion for my field.”
Logan White, B.S.
TTUHSC SLHS Graduate 2019 Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
Connect With Us