Second Degree in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
What is the Second Degree Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Program?
Our three-semester, post-baccalaureate program in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) equips you with the skills and knowledge needed to launch a rewarding career in this dynamic field. Our program is on-campus only, offering full-time coursework, interactive classes, and valuable clinical experiences at TTUHSC in Lubbock. Dive into the science behind it all and discover how to help others overcome communication challenges.
About the Program
Unravel the science of communication and empower lives. The SLHS program unlocks both immediate career paths and a route to graduate studies in fields like audiology and speech-language pathology.
- Dive into the intricacies of human communication: Explore normal speech, language, and hearing development alongside diverse disorders.
- Discover practical skills: Gain a solid academic and clinical foundation to understand and improve communication skills.
- Open doors to tremendous careers: This degree is your launchpad! After graduation, pursue an entry-level position or an advanced degree.
Join our vibrant community! Learn and interact with renowned faculty in an innovative environment focused on audiology and speech-language pathology.
This program is perfect for you if:
- You're fascinated by the science of communication.
- You dream of helping individuals overcome communication challenges.
- You are looking for a career that blends psychology, education, and medicine.
Careers with a Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
Branch out into a world of possibilities after graduation! Our versatile undergraduate program equips you with the knowledge and skills to launch into a range of exciting careers like:
- Licensed Speech-Language-Pathology Assistant (SLP-A): Support speech-language pathologists to provide services for individuals with communication disorders.
- Caseworker at a State Agency: Assist individuals and families in accessing essential services and resources.
- Early Intervention Specialist: Support the development of young children with special needs.
- Licensed Hearing Aid Specialist (with additional training): Help individuals with hearing loss find the right technology to improve their lives.
This degree is also a springboard for graduate-level education in fields like:
- Speech-Language Pathology: Empower individuals to find their voice and overcome communication challenges.
- Audiology: Enhance the lives of others by diagnosing and treating hearing and balance disorders.
- Education: Shape young minds and inspire a love of learning.
- Healthcare Administration: Make a difference behind the scenes, ensuring the smooth operation of healthcare facilities.
The future looks bright for these careers, especially in the field of speech-language pathology. Nationally, job growth for SLP-As is projected to soar 10%-14% through 2026, outpacing the average for all occupations. In Texas, the demand is even higher, with a projected job growth of 21% for health care support workers!
With our program, you can be well-positioned to seize these exciting opportunities and make a real difference in the lives of others. Start exploring your options today!
Admission is limited and competitive and requires a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and at least one undergraduate course with a passing grade in each of these four areas:
Program Start Term
Second Degree Bachelor of Science in Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences Curriculum
Become a part of the fascinating world of human communication with courses like Introduction to Speech-Language Pathology. However, your journey doesn't end with theory. Clinical observations and experiences turn academic concepts into life-changing adventures. Master essential skills in classes like Language Disorders and Neural Bases. These courses will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to succeed in diverse careers or pursue graduate studies.
Successful completion of the program culminates in the Post-baccalaureate Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences degree.
"My experience as a 2nd degree student at TTUHSC is one I will never forget! As I
entered the program with a degree outside of the field of speech pathology, I was
a little nervous and apprehensive. However, with the support from my professors, the
life-long friendships I made, and the outstanding education I received, I am leaving
the program with confidence and the knowledge I need to succeed in a graduate program!"
Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences
Connect With Us