Jannette M. Dufour, Ph.D.
Sertoli cells, Immune privilege, Transplantation, Diabetes, Islets, Gene therapy, Cell Therapy.
Current research is focused on the use of immunoprotective Sertoli cells in transplantation.
Transplantation of genetically modified, immune-privileged Sertoli cells
In this project, we are evaluating the feasibility of using immune-privileged Sertoli cells as a vehicle to deliver therapeutically relevant proteins. Specifically, the ability of insulin-expressing Sertoli cells to normalize blood glucose levels long-term in diabetic mice and survive after transplantation across immunological barriers.
Immune-privileged Sertoli cells as a treatment for diabetes
The objective of this project is to determine the mechanism by which Sertoli cells protect co-transplanted pancreatic islets in order to increase knowledge of what is necessary to create an immune privileged site and ultimately to improve outcomes of islet transplantation.
(From 43 peer-reviewed publications) Full publications list: NCBI My Bibliography
- Allen L, Ramalingam L, Menikdiwela K, Scoggin S, Shen CL, Tomison MD, Kaur G, Dufour JM, Chung E, Kalupahana NS, Moustaid-Moussa N. Effects of delta-tocotrienol on obesity-related adipocyte hypertrophy, inflammation, and hepatic steatosis in high fat fed mice. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry (in press).
- Kaur G, Vadala S, Dufour JM. 2017 An overview of a Sertoli cell transplantation model to study testis morphogenesis and the role of the Sertoli cell barrier in testis immune privilege. Environmental Epigenetics (in press).
- Kaur G, Wright K, Greer RH, Mueller K, Haynes A, Dufour JM. 2017 Sertoli cells immune regulation within in the testis. Spermatogenesis: Biology and Clinical Implications (in press).
- Wright K, Dziuk R, Mital P, Kaur G, Dufour JM. 2016 Xenotransplanted neonatal pig Sertoli cells inhibit both alternative and classical pathways of complement mediated cell lysis. Cell Transplantation 25:2027-2040. PubMed
- Franca LR, Hess RA, Dufour JM, Hofmann MC, Griswold MD. 2016 The Sertoli cell: one hundred fifty years of beauty and plasticity. Andrology 4:189-212. PubMed
- Ramalingam L, Menikdewella K, LeMieux M, Dufour JM, Kaur G, Kalupahana N, Moustaid-Moussa N. 2016 The renin angiotensin system, oxidative stress and mitochondrial function in obesity and insulin resistance. BBA Molecular Basis of Disease 16:30187-9. PubMed
- Kaur G, Thompson LA, Dufour JM. 2015 Therapeutic potential of immune privileged Sertoli cells. Animal Reproduction12:105-117. PubMed
- Mital P, Kaur G, Bowlin B, Paniagua NJ, Korbutt GS, Dufour JM. 2014 Nondividing, post-pubertal rat Sertoli cells resumed proliferation after transplantation. Biology of Reproduction 90:1, 13. PubMed
- Kaur G, Thompson LA, Dufour JM. 2014 Sertoli cells: Immunological sentinels of spermatogenesis. Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology 30:36-44. PubMed
- Kaur G, Thompson LA, Pasham M, Tessanne K, Long CR, Dufour JM. 2014 Sustained expression of insulin by a genetically engineered Sertoli cell line after allotransplantation in diabetic BALB/c mice. Biology of Reproduction 90:5, 109. Selected for a Commentary (Cupp AS, Sertoli cell based gene therapy. 2014 Biology of Reproduction) PubMed
- Kaur G, Mital P, Dufour JM. 2013 Testis immune privilege- Assumptions versus facts. Animal Reproduction 10:3-15. PubMed
- Kaur G, Long CR, Dufour JM. 2012 Genetically engineered immune privileged Sertoli cells – a new road to cell based gene therapy. Spermatogenesis 2:23-31. Cover photo PubMed
- Doyle TJ, Kaur G, Putrevu SM, Dyson EL, Dyson M, McCunniff WT, Kim KH, Dufour JM. 2012 Potential genes and pathways that confer immune privilege: immunoprotective properties of Sertoli cell-enriched testicular cells. Biology of Reproduction 86:1-14. PubMed
- Kaur G, Dufour JM. 2012 Editorial: Cell lines – Valuable tools or useless artifacts. Spermatogenesis 2:1-5. PubMed
- Mital P, Hinton BT, Dufour JM. 2011 The blood-testis and blood-epididymal barriers are more than just their tight junctions. Biology of Reproduction 84:851–858. PubMed
- Halley KR, Dyson EL, Kaur G, Mital P, Uong P, Dass B, Dufour JM. 2010 Delivery of a therapeutic protein by immune privileged Sertoli cells. Cell Transplantation 19:1645-1657. PubMed
- Mital P, Kaur G, Dufour JM. 2010 Immunoprotective Sertoli cells: Making allogeneic and xenogeneic transplantation feasible. Reproduction 139:495-504. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Lord SJ, Kin T, Rayat GR, Dixon DE, Bleackley RC, Korbutt GS, Rajotte RV. 2008 Comparison of successful and unsuccessful islet/Sertoli cell co-transplant grafts in streptozotocin induced diabetic mice. Cell Transplantation 16:1029-1038. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Dass B, Halley K, Korbutt GS, Dixon DE, Rajotte RV. 2008 Sertoli cell line lacks the immunoprotective properties associated with primary Sertoli cells. Cell Transplantation 17:525-534. Cover photo PubMed
- Lord SJ, Sipione S, Motyka B, Ewen C, Shostak I, Rayat GR, Dufour JM, Korbutt GS, Rajotte RV, Bleackley RC. 2006 Identification of a novel human granzyme B inhibitor secreted by cultured Sertoli cells. Journal of Immunology 177:5051-5058. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Hamilton M, Rajotte RV, Korbutt GS. 2005 Neonatal porcine Sertoli cells inhibit human natural antibody mediated lysis. Biology of Reproduction 72:1224-1231. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Rajotte RV, Zimmerman M, Rezania A, Kin T, Dixon DE, Korbutt GS. 2005 Development of an ectopic site for islet transplantation using biodegradable scaffolds. Tissue Engineering 9/10:1323-1331. PubMed
- Kin T, Korbutt GS, Kobayashi T, Dufour JM, Rajotte. 2005 Reversal of diabetes in pancreatectomized pigs after transplantation of neonatal porcine islets. Diabetes 54:1032-1039. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Hemendinger R, Halberstadt CR, Gores P, Emerich DF, Korbutt GS, Rajotte RV. 2004 Genetically engineered Sertoli cells are able to survive allogeneic transplantation. Gene Therapy 11:694-700. PubMed
- Dufour JM, Rajotte RV, Seeberger K, Kin T, Korbutt GS. 2003 Long-term survival of neonatal porcine Sertoli cells in non- immunosuppressed rats. Xenotransplantation. 10:577-586. PubMed