P. Hemachandra Reddy, PhD
P. Hemachandra Reddy, PhD
Professor, Department of Internal Medicine
P. Hemachandra Reddy, Ph.D., is the Tenured Professor of Internal Medicine, Neuroscience/Pharmacology, Neurology, Public Health and Speech, Language and Hearing Departments at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center in Lubbock. Dr. Reddy was formerly an Executive Director and Chief Scientific Officer of the Garrison Institute on Aging (2014-2019) and former Associate Scientist (2009-2014) in the Division of Neuroscience at the Oregon National Primate Research Center, affiliated with Oregon Health & Sciences University. Dr. Reddy received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in biology from Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, India, and he received an M. Phil in human cytogenetics from Delhi University. As a commonwealth scholar (1990–1993), he was awarded his PhD (1994) in human genetics from the University College, London. From 1995 to 2000, Dr. Reddy received postdoctoral training at the National Human Genome Research Institute of the National Institutes of Health. He was a standing member of the Veteran Affairs Merit Review Study Section (2007-2010), and NISH study section, Neuronal Oxidative Metabolism and Death (2013-2019) and served on several NIH study sections. He is the principal investigator to 2 NIH R01 grants, 1 R56 grant and to 1 NIH STTR grant (awarded to abSynapTEX, LLC). Dr. Reddy is an elected fellow of the American Neurological Association, currently being considered for Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Sciences and he is a member of the New York Academy of Sciences. Dr. Reddy is the author or co-author of more than 150 peer-reviewed publications, including publications in such journals as Nature Genetics, Human Molecular Genetics, Trends in Neurosciences, Trends in Molecular Medicine and Drug Discovery Today. He received several awards and honors including Prestigious Bharath Gaurav Award (2016) from Government of India; best mentor award (2003) and Technology innovation award (2007) from Oregon Health and Science University and Alzheimer's Award (2006) from the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Fellows Award for Research Excellence (FARE Award) (1999) from National Institutes of Health. Dr. Reddy was honored for his contributions to neurology and brain disorders at the second International conference, Rome, Italy June 3-6, 2018.
Currently, Dr. Reddy is collaborating with Dr. Vijay Hegde from Nutritional Sciences, TTU, published several papers (or submitted or in press), submitted an RO1 grant. He is also collaborating with Dr. Youndeok Kim from Department of Kinesiology and Sports Management of TTU. Dr. Reddy is actively collaborating with School of Pharmacy, Amarillo colleagues Dr. Vardan Karamyan on Ischemic Stroke, published papers and submitted an R21 proposal. At TTUHSC, Lubbock campus, Dr. Reddy is collaborating with Drs. Sanjay Awasthi (Internal Medicine), Marcella Rivas (Internal Medicine) and Hafiz Khan (Public Health) for cancer, diabetes and obesity research projects.
Dr. Reddy's research interests are – Drug Discovery, Aging, Neurodegenerative Diseases including Alzheimer's, Huntington's Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, Diabetes/Obesity, Multiple Sclerosis, Depression, Gender-based Studies, Biomarker Development, Bioinformatics and Gene Expression Analysis, and Animal models.
- Kumar S, Reddy PA, Yin X and Reddy PH. Novel microRNA-455-3p and its protective effects against abnormal APP processing and amyloid beta toxicity in Alzheimer’s disease. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of Society for Neuroscience, Chicago, October 19-23, 2019.
- Vijayan M and Reddy PH (2019) Novel microRNA PC-5P-12969 and ischemic stroke. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of Society for Neuroscience, Chicago, October 19-23, 2019.
- Pradeepkiran JA and Reddy PH (2019) Structure based design and molecular docking studies for phosphorylated tau inhibitors in Alzheimer’s disease. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of Society for Neuroscience, Chicago, October 19-23, 2019.
- Invited plenary presentation ‘Early Cellular Changes in Alzheimer’s Disease’ at the International Conference on Neurological Diseases and Therapeutics, Gandhinagar, India, organized by National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER), Ahmedabad.
- Invited talk ‘Protective Role of Reduced Drp1 in Alzheimer’s Disease’ by Dr. Kim Tieu, Florida International University, March 28, 2019.
- Invited talk ‘MicroRNAs as Early Detectable Biomarkers for Alzheimer’s Disease and Ischemic Stroke’ by Dr. H Lee, University of Texas, San Antonio, Feb 4, 2019.
- John A, Kubosumi A and Reddy PH (2020) Mitochondrial MicroRNAs in Aging and Neurodegenerative Diseases. Cells. 2020 May 28;9(6):E1345. doi: 10.3390/cells9061345.
- Khan H, Reddy PH et al. (2020) Gender Differences in Prevalence of Myocardial Infarction in Rural West Texans. Published online May 18, Journal of Public Health, From theory to Practice.
- Vijayan M and Reddy PH (2020) Non-Coding RNAs Based Molecular Links in Type 2 Diabetes, Ischemic Stroke, and Vascular Dementia. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, J Alzheimers Dis. 2020;75(2):353-383. doi: 10.3233/JAD-200070.
- Bhatti G, Reddy AP, Reddy PH and Bhatti J (2019) Lifestyle modifications and nutritional interventions in aging- associated cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. Front Aging Neurosci. 2020 Jan 10;11:369. doi: 10.3389/fnagi.2019.00369. eCollection 2019.
- Pradeepkiran JA, Reddy AP, Yin X, Manczak M, Reddy PH. Protective Effects of BACE1 Inhibitory Ligand Molecules Against Amyloid Beta-Induced Synaptic and Mitochondrial Toxicities in Alzheimer's Disease. Hum Mol Genet. 2020 Jan 1;29(1):49-69. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddz227.
- Reddy PH. Current status of stem cell research: An editorial. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2020 Apr 1;1866(4):165635. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.165635.PubMed PMID: 31862303.
- Mani C, Reddy PH, Palle K. DNA repair fidelity in stem cell maintenance, health, and disease. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis 2020 Apr 1;1866(4):165444. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.03.017.
- Reddy PH. Lifestyle and Risk Factors of Dementia in Rural West Texas. J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;72(s1):S1-S10. doi: 10.3233/JAD-191280. PubMed PMID: 31884491.
- Khan H, Rafiq A, Shabaneh O, Gittner L and Reddy PH (2019) Current Issues in Chronic Diseases: A Focus on Dementia and Hypertension in Rural West Texans. J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;72(s1):S59-S69. doi: 10.3233/JAD-190893.
- Hegde V, Dhurandhar N and Reddy PH (2019) Hyperinsulinemia or Insulin Resistance. What Impacts the progression of Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;72(s1):S71-S79. doi: 10.3233/JAD-190808.
- Sawant N and Reddy PH (2019) Role of Phosphorylated Tau in Huntington’s Disease Progression J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;72(s1):S177-S191. doi: 10.3233/JAD-190851.
- Hegde V, Vijayan M, Kumar S, Akheruzzaman M, Sawant N, Dhurandhar NV, Reddy PH. Adenovirus 36 improves glycemic control and markers of Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2019; 1865(11):165531. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.08.007.
- Kim Y, Gonzales JU, Reddy PH. An Investigation of Short-Term Longitudinal Associations Between Handgrip Strength and Cardiovascular Disease Biomarkers Among Middle-Aged to Older Adults: A Project FRONTIER Study. J Aging Phys Act. 2020 Jan 1;28(1):9-17. doi: 10.1123/japa.2018-0399.
- Vijayan M, Alamri FF, Al Shoyaib A, Karamyan VT, Reddy PH. Novel miRNA PC-5P-12969 in Ischemic Stroke. Mol Neurobiol. 2019; 56(10):6976-6985. doi: 10.1007/s12035-019-1562-x.
- Kumar S, Reddy PH. A New Discovery of MicroRNA-455-3p in Alzheimer's Disease. J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;72(s1):S117-S130. doi: 10.3233/JAD-190583.
- Kumar S, Reddy AP, Yin X, Reddy PH. Novel MicroRNA-455-3p and its protective effects against abnormal APP processing and amyloid beta toxicity in Alzheimer's disease. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2019; 1865(9):2428-2440. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.06.006.
- Tamarai K, Bhatti JS, Reddy PH. Molecular and cellular bases of diabetes: Focus on type 2 diabetes mouse model-TallyHo. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2019;1865(9):2276-2284. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.05.004.
- Oliver D, Reddy PH. Dynamics of Dynamin-Related Protein 1 in Alzheimer's Disease and Other Neurodegenerative Diseases. Cells. 2019; 8(9). pii: E961. doi: 10.3390/cells8090961.
- Ramasubramanian B, Reddy PH. Are TallyHo Mice A True Mouse Model for Type 2 Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease? J Alzheimers Dis. 2019. doi: 10.3233/JAD-190613.
- Hegde V, Vijayan M, Kumar S, Akheruzzaman M, Sawant N, Dhurandhar NV, Reddy PH. Adenovirus 36 improves glycemic control and markers of Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2019; 1865(11):165531. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.08.007
- Gamage S, Peddibhotla S, Reddy PH, Dhurandhar NV, Hegde V. Improvement in Glycemic Control in Mice of Different Age Groups. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes. 2019. doi: 10.1055/a-0961-7804.
- George EK, Reddy PH. Can Healthy Diets, Regular Exercise, and Better Lifestyle Delay the Progression of Dementia in Elderly Individuals? J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;72(s1):S37-S58. doi: 10.3233/JAD-190232.
- Reddy PH, Oliver DM. Amyloid Beta and Phosphorylated Tau-Induced Defective Autophagy and Mitophagy in Alzheimer's Disease. Cells. 2019;8(5). pii: E488. doi: 10.3390/cells8050488.