Emergency Medicine Fellowship
Our monthly didactic sessions include topic reviews, journal clubs, and procedural
skills labs. Fellows will also teach EM topics to Family Practice residents quarterly
and will gain incremental responsibility in overseeing and teaching Family Practice
residents during the required Family Practice Emergency Medicine rotation.
Fellows will also gain EMS experience and pre-hospital emergency care during ambulance ride a-longs with the Odessa Fire Department. Additionally, a dedicated pediatric emergency medicine month will further enhance pediatric emergency comfort, and a one-month block is set aside for the fellow to complete an Emergency Medicine/Critical Care associated elective.
Meet our Team
Jeffery Pinnow, M.D.
Emergency Medicine Fellowship Director
Emergency Medicine Fellowship Coordinator
Aricia Byrd, MD
Guillermo Lopez-Gonzalez, MD
Edward Woo, MD
The Emergency Medicine fellows complete 12 months of training to include:
- 10.5 months of Community Emergency Medicine
- 1 month Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- 2 weeks EMS experience
- (elective experiences as arranged with fellowship director)
- Have an unrestricted Texas License to practice medicine or be eligible for a Physician-in-training permit (check Texas Medical Board for requirements).
- Have graduated from an ACGME accredited Internal Medicine or Family Medicine Program. Residents pending completion may still apply.
- All USMLE/Comlex steps successfully completed before beginning fellowship.
- Have competitive USMLE/Comlex Board Scores.
- Be a graduate from an LCME accredited medical school or hold a valid ECFMG certificate.
- USMLE/Complex exams must have a passing score within three attempts and all exams must be completed within 7 years.
- Graduation date must be within 10 years.
- The institution accepts J-1 Visas, renewable EAD (employment authorization document) and a Permanent Resident Card. It does not accept H1-B Visa.
- Twenty (20) days paid vacation per year.
- Twelve (12) days paid sick leave per year.
- Two (2) sets of scrubs (embroidered with name and laundry service).
- Educational funds in the amount of $5000 for books, memberships, certifications and required training.
- Health, Life, and Dental Insurance for fellow and immediate family.
- Disability Insurance for fellow.
- Malpractice Insurance and Workers' Compensation Insurance.
Applications are accepted July 1st through August 31st. These can be submitted via email, fax or mail.
To apply provide the following:
- Complete and submitTTUHSC Fellowship Training Application
- Letter of completion of residency or diploma (original must be copied and notarized). Residents pending completion may still apply.
- Personal Statement
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- USMLE/Comlex transcript scores
- Certificate of Previous Training/ Program Director letter (only if the applicant has had previous training in the U.S.) Residents pending completion may still apply.
- ECFMG certificate (original must be copied and notarized)
- Current Curriculum Vitae (in chronological order, no gaps)
Submit applications to:
Mail: Texas Tech Family Medicine
Attn: Omero Valenzuela
701 W 5th Street, Suite 3174
Odessa, TX 79763