The PGY-V year consists of rotations in the following areas:
- Residents complete rotations in General Adult Outpatient Psychiatry (12 months)
- 1 month full-time equivalent rotation in Child/Adolescent Psychiatry
- Residents will also have ongoing exposure to patients in a Community Mental Health Setting at
- Federally Qualified Health Centers
- Longitudinal outpatient psychotherapy experience
ROTATION OBJECTIVES IN RELATION TO ACGME COMPETENCIES:
During the PGY-V year, residents complete rotations in General Adult Outpatient Psychiatry (12 months), and Child/Adolescent Psychiatry (1 month full-time equivalent rotation) with ongoing exposure to patients in a Community Mental Health Setting at Texas Tech University Student Health Center, VA and longitudinal geriatric psychiatry. In addition, residents continue to have psychotherapy patients with a focus on supportive, psychodynamic and cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PGY-V RESIDENT INCLUDE:
- Refine proficiency in full range of psychiatric assessment procedures.
- Gain experience in diagnosis and treatment of the full range of ambulatory adults, adolescents and children with mental disorders.
- Under direct attending supervision take a leadership role in supervising non-psychiatric colleagues from other programs (Geriatric, Primary Care/Internal Medicine/Family Medicine, and Pediatrics), and medical students.
- Demonstrate competence in principles and skills of supportive, psychodynamic, and cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy, and attend the regularly scheduled didactic seminars.
- Participate in Case Conference, Journal Clubs, and Grand Rounds.
- Participate in clinical skills verification.
Each Tuesday all Residents will have Didactic training from 1:00 pm till 5:00 pm.
We're here to help. Contact us if you have questions.