Message from the Department Chair
The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences is committed to create and disseminate knowledge through world-class integrated biomedical and pharmaceutical research. Our research goals are to increase understanding of disease processes and identify novel therapeutic targets that can ultimately be applied to patients. We are also committed to innovative education of professional and graduate students with the long term goal to become outstanding pharmacists and scientists. Graduate students receive solid training in the pharmaceutical-related basic sciences and the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences creates an environment in which students can develop into independent and creative scientific problem-solvers. Having access to state-of-the-art equipment and expertise, our students are well prepared to meet the latest challenges in groundbreaking research and discovery in the fields of academia, government and industry after completing a graduate degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Research led by the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Faculty provides translational drug discovery and target identification for a wide variety of disease states. The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences is committed to cross-department, school, and university collaboration and mentoring of faculty in both teaching and research. The Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences seeks to attract the best and brightest students and faculty by creating a welcoming environment that fosters success and creativity. This dedication and sustained commitment has helped the TTUHSC School of Pharmacy achieve the top 20% AACP rankings for schools of pharmacies in combined research grant funding for 2012.
I invite you to visit our department through our web site or direct contact via telephone or email. We value your input that is aimed at improving our education, research and service. I also invite you to apply for any available faculty, staff or trainee positions within our growing department.
Thomas Abbruscato, Ph.D.
The major research interests and expertise of our current Pharmaceutical sciences faculty include:
- Blood-brain barrier and neurovascular unit
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Drug delivery/formulation
- Stroke and brain ischemia
- Pulmonary embolism/hypertension
- Brain vascular effects of emerging tobacco products
- Metastatic brain cancer, drug resistance, and molecular cancer therapy
Abilene faculty research interests and expertise:
- cancer biology
- cancer immunology and immunotherapy
- nanoparticle drug delivery
- tumor microenvironment.
Description, Mission and Vision Statement, and Goals
Guidelines for Promotion and Tenure
- Promotion and/or Tenure Dossier Checklist
- Promotion and/or Tenure Dossier Format Guidelines
- Promotion and/or Tenure Guidlines
- Promotion and/or Tenure Flow Chart
- Important Dates and Steps for Promotion & Tenure and Post-Tenure Review
- NIH Weekly Funding Opportunities and Notices for January 20, 2023
- NIH Weekly Funding Opportunities and Notices for January 13, 2023
- NIH Weekly Funding Opportunities and Notices for January 6, 2023
General Contact Information
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
TTUHSC School of Pharmacy
Suite 309, 1300 S. Coulter St.
Amarillo, Texas 79106
Telephone: SOP - (806) 414-9289, ARB - (806) 414-9205
Fax: (806) 356-4034