Office of the Registrar | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
TTUHSC students walking through Lubbock campus courtyard.


The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is committed to excellence in the education of the TTUHSC student body.

In support of TTUHSC's educational mission, the Office of the Registrar provides enrollment services to all the schools while protecting the integrity of student records.


Student Confidentiality (FERPA)

Texas Residency

The determination of residency classification for tuition purposes is governed by Texas law and rules set forth by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. A student’s residency classification is initially based on the information provided on their Admissions Application. If a student is classified as a non-resident and wishes to be considered for reclassification as a resident, it is necessary to submit the Residency Core Questionnaire to the Office of the Registrar. Supporting documentation will be required. Students must have applied to Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) in order to have their residency classification reviewed.

The following information is neither exhaustive nor complete and should not be interpreted as such. For detailed information about regulations relating to residency in the State of Texas, visit the College for All Texans Residency Information page.

Residency through high school graduation is available to citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and to international students. To establish residency through high school graduation, you must:

  1. Graduate from a Texas high school or receive a GED in Texas; and
  2. Live in Texas for the 36 months immediately before high school graduation; and
  3. Live in Texas for the 12 months immediately before the census date of the semester in which you enroll at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. 

If a student meets the above criteria, but is not a United States citizen or Permanent Resident, they qualify for in-state tuition under Senate Bill 1528, and must submit a Residency Affidavit Form to the Office of the Registrar.

Residency by establishing a domicile in Texas is available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States and international students who hold an eligible visa. Non-citizens and non-permanent residents may also use this option if they have an application for permanent residency on file with the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

If you are independent for tax purposes, you may gain resident status if you establish domicile in Texas.  If your parent/court appointed legal guardian claims you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, they must establish domicile in Texas for you to claim residency.

To establish domicile, the following criteria must be met:

  1. Live in Texas for 12 consecutive months; and
  2. Establish and maintain domicile for 12 consecutive months through one of the following methods:

    • Significant gainful employment  (Student jobs do not qualify as gainful employment.)
    • Ownership of residential real property in Texas
    • Marriage to a person who established and maintained domicile in Texas
    • Ownership of a business entity

Students classified as non-residents may qualify to pay resident tuition based on one of the following waiver programs.  The individual remains classified as a non-resident, but a waiver of non-resident tuition is given for each semester of eligibility.

  • The student or student’s non-resident spouse or parent is a member of the Armed Forces or a commissioned officer of the Public Health Service and is stationed in Texas, or the student is a veteran. More information can be found at the HSC Veterans Resource Center website. Students should contact the HSC Veterans and Military Advisor at prior to registration.
  • The non-resident student or student’s non-resident spouse or parent has been transferred to Texas by an Economic Development and Diversification program established as part of the state’s Economic Development and Diversification program. 
  • The student is a New Mexico resident who resides in a county bordering Texas. New Mexico bordering counties: Otero, Dona Ana, Eddy, Curry, Lea Quay, Union, Roosevelt

For a complete Residency Information, visit the College for All Texans Residency Information page.


Who do I contact regarding residency status?
Questions regarding changing residency status, bordering county, and registration issues regarding in-state/out-of-state sections can be answered by the Office of the Registrar.

Can you tell me if I will qualify for in-state tuition before I apply to one of your programs?
We are unable to determine your residency without a completed Oath of Residency on file.  You will complete the Oath of Residency during the application process. 

I attended a private institution where I paid in-state tuition.  Does this mean I will qualify for in-state tuition at TTUHSC?
Unfortunately, your residency can not be determined by the rate you paid at a previous private institution.   Some examples of private institutions include, but are not limited to, Lubbock Christian University, Abilene Christian University, Dallas Baptist University, and Baylor University.

I live in New Mexico.  Will I qualify for a waiver?
You may qualify for the Bordering County waiver.  This is available for those living in the counties of Union, Quay, Curry, Roosevelt, Lea, Eddy, Otero, and Dona Ana.  This waiver is dependent on the type of program you are or will be enrolled in, whether face to face or distance education.  Once the waiver is approved and added to your account, it will carry over from the current term to the next and no further action will be required.  If you have been approved for the waiver and do not see it reflected on your billing, you will need to contact Student Business Services at or by calling their office at 806-743-7867.  Please keep in mind that not all students will qualify for this waiver.

I am currently classified as a Nonresident.  What do I need to do to qualify for in-state tuition?
There are 2 basic requirements we look for.  One is to be living in Texas for 12 consecutive months and the other is to be gainfully employed 20+ hours per week during those 12 months.  There are other ways which can be found on the College for All Texans website and each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

What type of documentation could be requested at the time I ask my residency to be reviewed?
There are a variety of documents we may request to support your claim for Texas residency.  Some of the most frequently requested documents include your tax return and/or your parent/guardian’s tax return if you are a dependent and proof of living in Texas, which can be a lease agreement or mortgage statement in your name.  Other documents may include, but not limited to, pay stubs, letter from your employer, utility bills (water, gas, electricity), or a marriage license.  

Parents’ Residency
If your parent or legal guardian lives in another state and claims you as a dependent, you will be classified as an out-of-state resident unless you qualify on the basis of high school domicile, or your parent is away on temporary absence. You may be eligible for Texas residency if a parent or legal guardian resides in Texas and is eligible to claim you as dependent on their federal taxes.

Temporary Absence
A temporary absence by a student or parent, with the intention to return, does not affect your ability to claim residency if the temporary absence is the result of:

  • Service in the U.S. Armed Forces, Public Health Service, Department of Defense, or Department of State
  • Employment assignment
  • Educational purposes
  • To claim a temporary absence, a student or parent must first establish Texas residency, then provide documentation of the reason for the temporary absence.

Previous Classification Through Another Texas College or University

Previous Classification Through Another Texas College or University
If you were classified as a Texas resident while you were enrolled at another Public Texas institution of higher education for the previous academic year, you may be eligible to be classified as a Texas resident at TTUHSC in accordance with Texas Administrative Code Determination of Resident Status Rule §21.26.  Please contact the Registrar’s Office at 806-743-7347 for more information.

Military Service Members
Military service members may base residency on the state they list as their legal residence, as found on their Leave and Earning Statement (LES). If you do not list Texas as your state of legal military residence, you may be eligible for a waiver to pay in-state tuition if stationed in Texas. Please visit the Waivers section on the HSC Veterans Resource Center website for additional information and request forms, or contact Sara Henly at


If you have submitted the Residency Core Questionnaire form and have been classified as a non-Texas resident after review of the form, you have the option to appeal your residency determination.

To appeal your determination, you must write a letter stating why you should be considered a Texas resident and provide any additional information to state your case further. Your letter should be addressed to the Residency Appeals Committee. The committee will review the information you submit and make a determination; the decision of the Residency Appeals Committee is final. Request for review or reclassification of residency status must be made prior to the twentieth class day. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center residency officials abide by Texas statutes and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules and regulations when making residency determinations.

Important Institutional Deadlines

Important Institutional deadlines are university dates which affect registration, billing, and financial aid for all students. Please see your Program's Academic Calendar on their website for additional deadlines required for your program.

General Information

Registrar Policies & Procedures