List of Services
- Application for Services
- Student Forms
- Interpreter/CART Request
Books in Accessible Format Option
The textbook may be offered as an e-text, which will allow a student to access the book electronically and sometimes extra features are provided by the publishers. Typically, e-texts are read aloud or provide easier access for some students. There may be other online resources like Chegg (www.chegg.com), which has HTML5 technology, allowing the student to instantly stream from a device (PC, Mac, and iPad) anywhere with an internet connection. It is also recommended to go directly to the publisher of any given book and see if there are e-text versions available for purchase directly from the publisher.
Bookshare is an accessible online library of various textbooks and other popular reading material. A student can browse the Bookshare database to see if a textbook is available without having a membership. Student membership is FREE, but the student must follow a process to be added to Bookshare and activate his or her student account. Please reach out to the SDS Staff to receive the assistance with activating the Student Account.
BOOKSHARE should be the FIRST place you look for accessible media or books in electronic format. When using accessible media from Bookshare, please understand that you are agreeing to use this accessible media for you, and only you, as the qualifying individual with a (visual, physical, or learning) disability. You are not allowed to share the accessible media with other individuals as that would be a violation of copyright laws. Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Student Memberships are free, and it is a privilege to have access, so please be responsible. Consequences for copyright violations include termination of your student account, or termination of the entire TTUHSC account.
STEPS to SIGN UP for a STUDENT MEMBERSHIP
- Go to Bookshare.org
- Click the big "SIGN UP TODAY" button on the home page.
- Select "Sign up Individual" then check the following boxes verifying you have a disability
and are over or under the age of 18.
- I (the individual with qualifying disability) am 18 years old or older
- I confirm that this account is for a person with a Print Disability, and will be able to provide Proof of Disability from a competent authority.
- Press continue.
- SKIP the Activation I.D. and Promo Code boxes.
- Fill in your personal information.
- Since you are in college leave the "Plans" portion blank. You no longer have a 504 or IEP.
- Agree to the membership terms.
- Click Create Account.
- You will now be given the option to print out your PROOF of DISABILITY FORM.
- Print this form and bring it to the Student Disability Services for a signature.
*Note: You will NOT be able to use Bookshare until your account is complete. You must have Student Disability Services sign the Proof of Disability form, and then the SDS staff will email the form to Bookshare to complete your account.
We can offer electronic versions of textbooks using Kurzweil/Kurzweil Firefly . The student must first purchase the necessary textbooks, fill out the Book Request Form and provide SDS with the book and the receipt of purchase. If SDS already has the book on file (you can always email me the title and edition and see if we already have the book on file), it could be a 48-hour turnaround time for the textbook to be added to Kurzweil. In either case, SDS will upload the textbook to the student’s Kurzweil account (where he/she will have a virtual bookshelf to access textbooks).
Directions for Students
- First, if you have an older version of Kurzweil, uninstall the original program by searching for it in your PC's search engine, right-clicking it and clicking Uninstall.
- Go to the Kurzweil download website
- Select the link Version 16 (subscription/web license) and allow the file to download. Open it.
- Click Run. In the window that pops up, click Install.
- In installation window, choose Web Licensing Software.
- Next window, click Install Web Licensing Software.
- On welcome screen, click Next.
- Read license agreement, choose “I accept the terms…”, and click Next.
- In the customer information window, type your name for the user name and Texas Tech University for the organization name.
- In the Setup Type screen, choose Complete, and click Next.
- In the Ready to Install screen, click Install.
- In the Guest Login Account screen, click Skip.
- You should then have a window that states “Installation Wizard Complete”, click Finish.
- When your computer asks to restart, click Yes.
Once your computer restarts, you are ready to go. You should see the shortcut for Kurzweil 3000 on your desktop, double click this icon to open Kurzweil.
When prompted, enter user name and password.
- In order to receive a username and password directly from Kurzweil you MUST have an account setup through the SDS office.
- You do not need to change the License type; just click OK.
To Use Kurzweil After Installation: ALWAYS BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. When Kurzweil is open, click File, then click Open from Universal Library and open the file you wish to have Kurzweil read.