Obtaining Accessible Texts
Current textbook accessibility includes a wide range of options. Although it is often helpful to start directly with the publisher’s own website, especially well-known publishers, here are some helpful options.
- Listen to books.
- Read braille or large font.
- Customize your reading experience
Steps to Sign Up for the Bookshare Student Membership
- Go to Bookshare.org and click "SIGN UP TODAY".
- Select "Sign up Individual" then check the boxes verifying disability and age.
- SKIP the Activation I.D. and Promo Code boxes.
- Fill in your personal information. (Leave the "Plans" portion blank.)
- Click Create Account.
- You will now be given the option to print your PROOF of DISABILITY FORM. Print or send this form to Student Disability Services. They will email the form to Bookshare to complete the creation of your account.
- You will then receive a follow-up email from Bookshare to set up your account.
Bookshare is a free membership for accessible media for you and you alone. Consequences for sharing your account include termination of your student account, or termination of the entire TTUHSC account.
We can offer electronic versions of textbooks using Kurzweil/Kurzweil Firefly . The student must first purchase the necessary textbooks, fill out the Book Request Form and provide SDS with the book and the receipt of purchase. If SDS already has the book on file (you can always email me the title and edition and see if we already have the book on file), it could be a 48-hour turnaround time for the textbook to be added to Kurzweil. In either case, SDS will upload the textbook to the student’s Kurzweil account (where he/she will have a virtual bookshelf to access textbooks).
Directions for Students
- First, if you have an older version of Kurzweil, uninstall the original program by searching for it in your PC's search engine, right-clicking it and clicking Uninstall.
- Go to the Kurzweil download website
- Select the link Version 16 (subscription/web license) and allow the file to download. Open it.
- Click Run. In the window that pops up, click Install.
- In installation window, choose Web Licensing Software.
- Next window, click Install Web Licensing Software.
- On welcome screen, click Next.
- Read license agreement, choose “I accept the terms…”, and click Next.
- In the customer information window, type your name for the user name and Texas Tech University for the organization name.
- In the Setup Type screen, choose Complete, and click Next.
- In the Ready to Install screen, click Install.
- In the Guest Login Account screen, click Skip.
- You should then have a window that states “Installation Wizard Complete”, click Finish.
- When your computer asks to restart, click Yes.
Once your computer restarts, you are ready to go. You should see the shortcut for Kurzweil 3000 on your desktop, double click this icon to open Kurzweil.
When prompted, enter user name and password.
- In order to receive a username and password directly from Kurzweil you MUST have an account setup through the SDS office.
- You do not need to change the License type; just click OK.
To Use Kurzweil After Installation: ALWAYS BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. When Kurzweil is open, click File, then click Open from Universal Library and open the file you wish to have Kurzweil read.