Pediatric Requirements and Resident Selection Process
We're glad that you're interested in the Pediatric Program at TTUHSC in Amarillo. The decision making process for selecting resident applicants through the match is a complex process. We're looking for candidates who are predicted to achieve the milestones in the areas in the ACGME competencies including: Patient Care, Medical Knowledge, Interpersonal Skills and Communication, Professionalism, Systems-Based Practice, Practice-Based Learning and Improvement and Professional Development. We are interested in the candidate’s professional conduct with others, academic achievement, engagement in learning, intellectual curiosity, commitment to service and their patients, initiative and engagement with others.
All applications must be received through ERAS. We review USLME scores, transcripts/grades, personal statements, 3-4 letters of recommendation, research, evidence of volunteerism and leadership. Generally, the ERAS application is complete before interview invitations are dispersed. The ERAS application must include transcripts from approved medical schools, Dean’s letter, 3-4 letters of recommendation, personal statement. ECFMG Certification is required for all candidates to be ranked.
Program Requirements & Details
- Must be a graduate from an American Allopathic/Osteopathic Medical School or an approved International Medical School.
- Must meet Texas Medical Board Requirements (see licensing requirements of the Texas State Board of Medical Examiners.
- Must be eligible for licensure in the state of Texas following completion of residency.
- Applicants must be a US Citizen, a permanent resident or sponsored for a J-1 Visa; we do not support other visas.
- We do not require U.S. clinical experience.
- We do not offer observerships.
- Deadline for receiving applications: October 10th.
- Interview timeline: late October/early November thru December.
- All applications must be submitted through ERAS.
- We do not offer a transitional year (PGY-1).
- We offer seven positions each match year.
- USMLE Step 2 must be completed prior to the match. We recommend taking USMLE Step 3 before you start residency. However, it is required to be taken before the end of PGY1 and passed before March of PGY2.
- We accept international medical graduates (IMG’s).
- We only sponsor J-1 Visa's.
- Research is not required, but strongly encouraged. Scholarly activity is required for graduation.
If you question is not addressed above, please contact the program coordinator.