Welcome to Family Medicine
Mission: Comprehensive and Integrated Care of the Whole Person
The Department of Family and Community Medicine provides high quality health care and educational experiences. Working as a team of healthcare providers and educators, we advance a unique model of patient care characterized by comprehensive and integrated care of the whole person over time, tailored to the individual’s values and choices care of all ages, socio-economic statuses, ethnicity's, health statuses, and both genders Wellness and prevention relationships and collaborations based on active and open communication and trust wise and practical application of knowledge.
"I love Family Medicine because I get to do a little of everything... babies, teens,
adults, and the elderly. I like knowing I'm trained to handle almost anything these
patients can throw at you."
Kelly Bennett, MD
The Department of Family and Community Medicine will be a premier center for Family Medicine education, improving the quality of life in our communities and leading in the transformation of the nation’s healthcare system.
Our commitment to these core values allows us to focus our resources, manage our time, guide our decision-making, and fulfill our mission.
- Respect for Humanity: Recognizing that each individual is unique and has intrinsic worth, we value human dignity and treating all individuals with compassion and respect.
- Excellence: We value the pursuit of quality through continuous effort and improvement.
- Integrity: We are committed to taking individual and collective responsibility for our actions and thus we value accountability, professionalism, honesty, and the highest ethical standards in all of our endeavors.
- Teamwork: Because our environment requires the efforts, energies and ideas of all team members, we value collaboration, support, and mutual respect.
- Knowledge: The production and use of new information is the foundation of all that we do; therefore, we value developing knowledge that is timely and relevant and using it in practical and wise manner.
- Relationships: Recognizing that all we do is dependent on the quality of our personal and professional interactions, we value the development of positive and healthy relationships.
- Service: We recognize our duty to fulfill the needs of our patients and learners, and thus we value efforts to be responsive, courteous, and available.
- Holistic Perspective: Recognizing that success and well-being are dependent on the whole system as well as the individual parts, we value applying an integrative perspective across all areas of personal and professional functioning.
- Embracing Change: Because we live and work in a dynamic environment that requires continuous learning, we value curiosity, flexibility, adaptability, creativity, and innovation.
A Few Family Medicine Highlights
Our Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT) is an innovative 3-year accelerated medical school curriculum that culminates into a M.D. degree and leads to a standard 3-year family medicine residency in Lubbock, Amarillo or the Permian Basin. Students applying to the TTUHSC School of Medicine may apply to the FMAT program by indicating their interest on the TMDSAS application or current students may apply during the fall semester of their first year. MORE
The Free Clinic is an urgent care clinic that seeks to provide free basic healthcare to the working poor and homeless population of Lubbock and concomitantly enhance student education through service to the community. Our healthcare services are offered at no cost to the patient.
Physicians and medical students from the TTUHSC School of Medicine run the clinic every Wednesday night from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m.
Kelly Bennett, MD Fiona Prabhu, MD
Associate Professor Associate Professor
Co-Medical Directors, Lubbock Impact Free Clinic
Family Medicine runs a student clinic on the Texas Tech University campus to ensure students stay healthy and are well cared for during their time at TTU. Click the link below for more information: