Although TTUHSC is not currently mandating facial coverings, the SON Office of Admissions highly recommends you wear a facial covering when you visit our department, or any of our campuses or educational sites. Facial coverings have been an effective part of the COVID-19 management strategy. This safety precaution supports our efforts to continue operations without disruptions and provide as traditional of an educational experience as possible.
All applicants and incoming students need to be aware that while the School of Nursing does not require COVID-19 vaccination, our clinical partners are requiring that all students are fully COVID-19 vaccinated prior to clinical placement and proof of vaccination must be provided, in advance. The successful completion of the clinical component of your program is essential for graduation. As a result, students will not be able to complete program requirements for graduation without completing the clinical requirement.
The Master of Science in Nursing Informatics (NI) Certificate prepares graduates to assume an advanced practice role in nursing informatics. The NI Masters is an online track that requires occasional travel to the Lubbock campus for field experience or immersion work on technical and analytic competencies.
A Post-Graduate Nursing Informatics Certificate is also available to those who currently hold a Master of Science in Nursing and wish to assume an advanced practice role in Nursing Informatics.
Upon completion of course requirements, graduates of the Masters NI track are eligible to sit for the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Board Certification and the HIMSS Certified Professional in Health Information Management (CPHIMS) Exams.
Disclaimer: Due to changing regulations, the TTUHSC SON Graduate Programs cannot guarantee at the time of submission of an application that we can accept students from a particular state. At this time, we are unable to accept students living in the following states – Arizona, California, Louisiana, New York, Oregon, and Washington.
The Post-Graduate NI Certificate is completed in 17 semester credit hours.
For transcript post-master evaluation, email unofficial/official transcripts to Cade Korchenko prior to applying to ensure all applicants are applying to start in the correct semester since some courses may qualify for transfer credit.
Current tuition information can be found here or by contacting Student Business Services from 8:30am-4pm CST at (806) 743-7867.
Financial aid (student loans, grants, scholarships) are available upon admittance to the School of Nursing. Additional information may be found at the Financial Aid Office website or by calling 806-743-3025.
All applicants will be reviewed in an individual and holistic manner. No single factor will determine a student's admission. The Program Chair and appropriate committee carefully evaluate all qualified applicants with regard to the applicants' potential for successful completion of the program.
The Graduate Department Chair and/or Program Director will review the applicant's previous academic preparation and/or competency in required courses in order to award transfer credit. Any deficiencies will be met by enrollment in required courses.
Generally, credits earned at an accredited college or university are accepted for transfer credit provided course content is equivalent. A grade below B is not acceptable for transfer credit.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR APPLICANTS WHO ATTENDED A COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY IN SPRING 2020
An explanation of how TTUHSC School of Nursing considers courses in which a student earns grades of Pass (P), Fail(F), Credit (CR) or No Credit (NC) is outlined below:
- Official transcripts with courses awarded with P or CR during the SPRING 2020 semester can be used to meet prerequisite course requirements and will not be used in calculating either the cumulative or science GPA for admissions.
- TTUHSC SON reserves the right to determine how, and if, courses awarded with P or CR during any semester, outside of spring 2020, will be calculated into a GPA and/or considered for transfer credit.
- Official transcripts with courses awarded with a Fail (F) or No Credit (NC) during any semester cannot be used to meet prerequisite course requirements
- Valid unencumbered RN License
- Master of Science in Nursing degree from a regionally accredited college or university with nursing program accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) or from the American Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) in all graduate level course work
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Pediatric Advanced Live Support (PALS) certification for FNP, GNP, PNP, or ACNP tracks
- Personal Statement/Essay (maximum of 500 words)
- Professional letters of reference (3). Family members, friends, ministers, are not considered a professional reference
- Official transcript for the MSN degree. (NOTE: all transcripts must be from a regionally accredited college or university with nursing program accreditation from the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), or from the American Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)
- Official transcripts from all other previously attended institutions of higher education.
- Applicants with a nursing transcript from a foreign university are to submit an official course-by-course evaluation from CGFNS. If the coursework is not related to a nursing degree, the applicant must submit an official course-by-course evaluation from one of the four agencies listed here.
- Computer Literacy: defined as an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of a computer and how to use them wisely within clinical workflow and for scholarly work. Applicants must complete the TTUHSC SON Computer Literacy Test located at http://nursing.ttuhsc.edu/skills/ prior to applying
- TOEFL Scores – Applicants from a country where the primary language is not English must provide evidence of achieving a total score of 84 or higher with a speaking score of 26 or higher and a writing score of 27 or higher on the TOEFL iBT. This may only be waived if the student has received a degree from an accredited college/university in one of the listed countries: Australia, Canada (except the Province of Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean countries (including Anguilla, Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Dominic, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands), Republic of Ireland, Liberia, New Zealand, United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales), United States.
International students with F1 and F2 status are not eligible to apply to an online program
- Evidence of leadership in nursing (Professional organizations, committees, etc.)
- Potential for leadership in an advanced role as evidenced by reference letters
- Professional nursing work experience
- Diversity of work or life experience (For example: experience with other cultures, study/travel/work abroad, community service, military service, degree in other field, volunteerism or other related extracurricular activities)
- Curriculum vitae/resume which includes educational background, honors, nursing experience, professional membership(s), and community service
- Permanent resident of Texas or TTUHSC service area/county or TTUHSC campus location
- First generation college student
- Fluent in a language in addition to English
- Experience in nursing informatics or technology (minimum super user experience) is required
- Minimum of two (2) years of clinical experience
- Response to Track specific essay questions
It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure that their application is complete: Application Instructions
All application fees and placement fees/enrollment deposits are non-refundable. Please be sure you are applying for the correct term/program before submitting your application.
|Admission Term||Application Open||Application Deadline|
|Summer||November 1 of previous year||February 15|
- It is to your advantage to include as much information as possible in your application including any certifications you may have (i.e. BLS, ACLS, PALS, CCRN, etc.), information on any professional nursing organizations of you may be a member, current and previous work experience. Additional tips can be found by reviewing Tips for a Successful Application to the Graduate Program.
- Ensure that all required application documents are received by the deadline. It is the responsibility of the applicant, not that of TTUHSC, to make sure that your application is complete and submitted. We will not contact you for missing items.
- If you do not already have your MSN degree and are interested in applying for the MSN program, you will need to follow a different application process which is outlined on the websites for the MSN Tracks.
- Once you have submitted your application, official transcripts must be submitted by ALL colleges or universities attended. You may only request official transcripts – you may not submit an official transcript yourself.
- Transcripts may be mailed by the college or university to this address:
TTUHSC School of Nursing
Office of Admissions
3601 4th St. STOP 8212
Lubbock, TX 79430-8212
- *Effective immediately, TTUHSC School of Nursing will no longer accept transcripts transmitted through the SPEEDE system. Please ensure your official transcripts are submitted electronically to SONTranscripts@ttuhsc.edu or mailed to the Office of Admissions.
*DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that if the Office of Admissions does receive an official transcript transmitted via the SPEEDE system (either directly from the sending institution or a third-party transcript provider), we may use it to evaluate and process your application. Therefore, as an applicant, it is important you remain aware that information on transcripts submitted via SPEEDE may not be accurate. It is to your benefit to have the transcript sent to the Office of Admissions either electronically to SONTranscripts@ttuhsc.edu or through the mail.