Tips For Communicating
For the Person with Aphasia:
To understand messages better:
- Get rid of distractions. For example, turn off the T.V.
- Look at the speaker and watch their mouth.
- Watch the speaker’s gestures and face for clues.
- If you don’t understand, ask the speaker to “Say that again.”
To get your message out clearly:
- Take your time.
- If you can’t find the exact word, talk around the word.
- Use any means to get your message across
- Write the first letter of a word.
- Ask your partner if he or she understands you.
For the Caregivers:
- Speak slowly.
- Repeat the message or say it in a different way.
- Write down the message.