Transfer to the School of Medicine
Thank you for your interest in Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. TTUHSC School of Medicine accepts a limited number of transfers in advanced standing when space is available. Applicants who are considered will be invited for an interview. The applicant should be aware that TTUHSC School of Medicine is a multi-campus institution with campuses in Lubbock, Amarillo, and Odessa. Transfer students are assigned to the Amarillo or Odessa campus for the third and fourth clinical years of the curriculum.
Guidelines for Eligibility
- The applicant must be a legal resident of Texas.
- The applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent resident of the U.S.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled as a student in good standing (documented standing in upper 50% of class by Office of Student Affairs) in an allopathic medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- The applicant must be currently enrolled as a student in good standing (documented standing in upper 50% of class by Office of Student Affairs) in a medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Preference is given to students who have taken and passed the USMLE Step 1 exam. Students applying for transfer while still in the second semester of year 2 will be considered if they have taken the CBSE at their current medical school or participate in the mid-May administration of the exam at TTUHSC School of Medicine and receive a score greater than or equal to 75.
- The applicant must have completed at least 90 hours of undergraduate coursework in a fully accredited U.S. or Canadian school.
- The applicant must have completed the second year of medical school. Transfer into the fourth year is not considered.
- Applicants from related fields such as dentistry, or those who have taken medical basic science courses as a graduate student, may be considered on an individual basis, but may be required to apply as a first year student regardless of the degree field.
- The applicant must have taken and passed Step 1 of the USMLE exam and submitted a letter of withdrawal from their current school before beginning the third year curriculum.
- The applicant must provide documentation from current Office of Student Affairs that the student has not and does not have any professionalism, behavioral issues or disciplinary actions against them.
Requirements for Application
- A completed application and filing fee of $60.00 must be received by the Office of Admissions no later than May 1st.
- Applicants must clearly state in their personal statement the reason for their request for transfer.
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate colleges, graduate schools, and medical schools must be submitted to the TTUHSC School of Medicine Office of Admissions.
- All applicants must have official MCAT scores forwarded to the Office of Admissions.
- A letter of evaluation must be submitted by the Dean of the school where the applicant is currently enrolled.
- Prior to matriculation at TTUHSC School of Medicine, all applicants must have received passing Step 1 scores and the official Step 1 scores must be forwarded to TTUHSC School of Medicine.
- All forms, supporting documents and information must be submitted to the TTUHSC School of Medicine Office of Admissions.