Undergraduate to Medical School Initiative
About the Program
The Honors College of Texas Tech University and Texas Tech University Health Sciences
Center School of Medicine offer an exhilarating, competitive undergraduate medical
school program designed for motivated, academically talented students interested in
pursuing an M.D. degree in Texas. Medical School is one of the most difficult graduate
programs to attain, so TTUHSC designed an initiative that would guarantee admission
for a selection of driven, academic undergraduates.
UMSI is not an accelerated 6-year, 7-year, or other type of fast-track program to medical school. After meeting the special medical school requirements and deadlines set by this joint program, a select group of entering freshmen are guaranteed admission to medical school at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine after completion of a Bachelor's Degree at TTU. Combined with undergraduate coursework and medical school, the student is looking at 8 years of study.
Undergraduate Medical School Requirements
- Student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S at the time of application.
- Student must be a Texas resident.
- High School Senior classification from a Texas high school is required.
- Must achieve a minimum score of 30 ACT or 1360 SAT. These test scores need to be achieved from a singular testing date. SAT exams consider math and critical reading sections only.
- SAT or ACT "Superscores" will not be accepted.
- Preference is given to candidates ranked in the top 10% of their class
- Students must apply and be admitted to Texas Tech University and the Honors College as entering Freshmen before the application process for UMSI is complete.
- Students accepted into the UMSI program must complete the Honors College requirements as well. The completion of coursework, activities, and events in the Honors College are a condition of matriculation to TTUHSC School of Medicine.
- UMSI students spend four years as an undergraduate at Texas Tech University, which gives them the opportunity to demonstrate significant evidence of health-related activities in a hospital or clinical setting, which is a medical school requirement for students within the program.
- By waivingtheMCAT requirement and guaranteeing medical school admission,UMSI gives
students the opportunity to have a varied undergraduate experience, including taking
on internships or studying abroad.
- Participants who decide to take the MCAT, for any reason, must notify the School of Medicine Office of Admissions and must withdraw their acceptance to TTUHSC School of Medicine and are no longer eligible to participate in the UMSI program.
- Study abroad programs must be taken with an affiliated Texas Tech University institution or program, and the grades must appear on your Texas Tech University transcript.
- Early matriculation may be considered after students have completed at least three
years of undergraduate study at TTU, so long as applicants demonstrate accelerated
levels of professionalism and preparedness for medical school, as well as submit a
formal request to the Office of Admissions.
- Students who apply for early matriculation must have completed all prerequisite coursework, fulfilled the requirements in the UMSI and Honors College Agreements, and submitted all volunteer and healthcare hours.
- After these requirements have been met and their request has been approved by the Office of Admissions, the student will be able to submit their application for consideration. An invitation for a UMSI Readiness Interview will follow, which involves select faculty from the Admissions Committee. This is not a guarantee for early matriculation.
|October 1||UMSI Application opens|
|December 10||Last date to take the online CASPer exam|
Deadline for UMSI application and all supporting documents (see applications section for details)
Interview invitations sent out to UMSI applicants via email. This date is subject to change.
Save the Date - Virtual UMSI Interview Day
UMSI results announced via email. This date is subject to change.
How to apply to the Undergraduate to Medical School Initiative
UMSI applicants must apply to all the following:
Applications to Texas Tech University and Honors College
A complete application to Texas Tech University is comprised of the following:
- Apply to Texas Tech University through ApplyTexas
- Additionally, apply to the Honors College through Honors College Application
- Certain documents will be reviewed when applying to the UMSI program. The following
items must be submitted to Texas Tech University-Undergraduate Admissions at the time
- Test scores:
- Either SAT or ACT scores are acceptable.
- Scores should be sent to Texas Tech by the testing service agency.
- Official copy of high school transcripts. Transcripts should indicate:
- Class rank
- Courses in progress
- Letters of evaluation:
- 2 letters of evaluation are required. These letters should address both the academic and the leadership potential of the student.
- Test scores:
TTU application processing notes
Within 4-6 weeks, submitted applications are processed, completed, and students are informed of admission status. Contact TTU admissions for any questions regarding undergraduate degrees.
Application to Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine
How to apply to medical school at TTU HSC School of Medicine:
- Complete and submit the UMSI application online.
- One letter of evaluation is required as a part ofyourUMSI application, which must
be submitted within the online application. This letter should address your readiness
and preparation to pursue medicine and completeboththe UMSI and medical school programs.
- The School of Medicine will also use these letters of evaluation for the Honors College at Texas Tech University.
- A completed CASPer test
- The CASPer test is an online screening tool designed to evaluate key personal and professional characteristics that TTUHSC School of Medicine feels are important for medical students and graduates.
- Complete and submit a CASPer test by the application deadline in order to maintain admission eligibility. Without a complete CASPer test, you will not be eligible for an interview or offer of acceptance to TTUHSC School of Medicine.
- The CASPer test required for admission into UMSI is located under United States of America>BA/MD>Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, Undergraduate to Medical School Initiative
- NOTE: Additional documents that were submitted to Texas Tech University at the time of application (see Step 1) will also be reviewed. This may include:
- Proof of acceptance to TTU
- Proof of pending application to Honors College
CASPer test dates for the 2020 application year:
- Sep 13, 2020
- Oct 13, 2020
- Nov 19, 2020
- Dec 10, 2020
Sign up for the CASPer test at takecasper.com
UMSI application notes
Successful and timely completion of the UMSI application, letters of recommendation, and CASPer test results are the sole responsibility of the applicant. Failing to submit any application materials or documents before the deadline may result in the withdrawal from consideration of said application.
Interviewing at the School of Medicine
After the above applications have been submitted, admissions officers will carefully review the files and choose a select group of qualified individuals who appear to have the credentials and values that align with the medical school here at Texas Tech. This selected group will be invited for personal interviews with the UMSI selection committee.
Students that have submitted their application after the deadline will not be considered for an interview
Qualities Searched for in an interview
- Committees value the ability to balance academics with extracurricular and work activities. Superior grades coincide well knowledge and interests outside of fixed academic context.
- Quality service to patients is an element of health care that TTUHSC values above all else. Applicants who demonstrate empathy and caring behavior will be noticed.
- Committees search for applicants who already have some experience in a health care field.
- Prior to the interview, applicants should possess knowledge of the health care system and awareness of its current changes.
- Interpersonal skills are vital for a career in health care. Committee members will seek out applicants capable of demonstrating the ability to interact well with patients and peers.
Undergraduate Medical School Requirements at Texas Tech
UMSI students are welcome to pursue a major of their choice, so long as they complete the following prerequisite courses:
|Course||TTU Course Number||Hours|
|General Biology or Zoo (with labs)||
|Upper Division Biology||CHEM 3310/CHEM3311 (Biochemistry may be used here if not otherwise satisfying another requirement)||9|
|General Chemistry (with labs)||CHEM 1307/CHEM 1107||8|
|Organic Chemistry (with labs)||
|Physics (with labs)||
|Statistics Offered by Math Department||MATH 2300||3|
* Recommended upper division courses (3000 or 4000 level courses) include: Biological Science courses applied toward Baccalaureate degree in traditional science fields, such as Biochemistry, Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Ecology, Immunology and Parasitology.
Courses for non-science majors or for health career majors (nursing, pharmacy, allied health sciences, etc.) will NOT satisfy the required coursework. All required coursework must be applicable towards a traditional science degree.
Note: A limited number of Advanced Placement (AP) or dual credit courses may also be accepted by Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine for coursework only in English.
All prerequisite courses require graded work. All AP and/or dual credit for prerequisite courses must be replaced with a higher level course.
Prerequisites for UMSI are specific to the program and are different than general admission requirements.
UMSI participants are required to submit the Texas Medical Dental Schools Application (http://www.tmdsas.com/) between May 1st and October 1st the year prior to matriculation to the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. We ask that participants complete this by July 1 to assist with processing times.
UMSI participants receive a fee waiver for the secondary application to Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine.
UMSI participants are required to take a CASPer before October 1st the year prior to matriculation.
Maintaining UMSI qualifications
Since Texas Tech is providing the opportunity of guaranteed acceptance to medical school, there are many elements to this program that students must maintain while within the program.
- Students must take all required coursework and prerequisites at TTU, or at a study-abroad affiliated TTU program (with the exception of specific courses and prerequisites).
- GPA requirements:
- All UMSI students must maintain a 3.7 overall GPA
- Additionally, UMSI students must maintain a 3.6 science GPA
- A grade of "B" or higher must be earned in all graded prerequisite courses
- Matriculation occurs four years from acceptance into the UMSI program and is dependent on completion of an undergraduate degree and maintenance of program requirements.
- Students must be in good standing in the Honors College (including regular involvement in Honors extracurricular activities)
- Meet all requirements of the Program Guidelines
- It is important to be in good academic and non-academic standing
- Students must show evidence of 100 hours of continued related health care and volunteerism or service-based activities. These activities are due by August 31 of each year.Fourthyear UMSI students must submit hours by July
- NOTE: Criminal background checks will be completed on all students matriculating to TTUHSC School of Medicine.
- If a student desires to change their academic major or degree plan, they must meet and be granted approval by the TTU Honors College and TTUHSC School of Medicine Office of Admissions.
Director of Admissions
School of Medicine - Office of Admissions 2B116
Lubbock, TX 79430
Assistant Director of Recruitment and Special Programs
School of Medicine - Office of Admissions 2B116
Lubbock, TX 79430