Using VA Benefits | Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
TTUHSC students walking through Lubbock campus courtyard.

VA Benefits (Federal)

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official VA website, with links to each benefit below.

Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD)
Ch. 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
Ch. 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill®
Ch. 35 Survivors and Dependents' Assistance (DEA)
Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

How to Request VA Benefits

Students must apply to use VA benefits at Submit the following documents to the Certifying Official via HSC benefits portal every semester, after registration. The next terms will be available in the portal by the first week of registration.
Regarding Non-Resident Students. Students identified as a Non-Resident with the Institution can review waiver information in Resources>VRC Resources & Services. A waiver request must be submitted each semester. 

What is a Parent Institution Letter (PIL)?
A Parent Institution is the primary school from which the student will earn their degree.
A Supplemental Institution is the school in which the student is taking courses which will satisfy degree requirements at the primary school.
In order to approve benefits for enrollment at a supplemental school, the VA must receive confirmation from the Parent School that a student is entitled to receive full credit in his/her approved educational program for the course(s) they plan to take. 

IMPORTANT: If a student enrolled at TTUHSC is taking courses at another institution that apply to their TTUHSC degree plan,  they must complete the Parent Institution Letter (PIL), have it signed for the Academic Dean, and returned to the School Certifying Official in the Veterans Resource Center.   

IMPORTANT: A student eligible for state or federal military related student financial assistance programs for military veterans and their family members may be eligible to defer payment of tuition and fees if the receipt of military related financial assistance awarded to the student is delayed by less than 60 days. H.B. 846, 85th(R)). Student must complete and return the Tuition Deferment Request form to the School Certifying Official in the Veterans Resource Center. Note: payment of student health insurance may not be deferred. 

IMPORTANT: The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. You can access a personalized data sheet by visiting the THECB Net Price Calculator and selecting Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. Additional financial information can be found at the NCES College Navigator website.

IMPORTANT: Information Regarding Student Health Insurance. For students enrolled in programs requiring student to have health insurance, the mandatory fee will be charged to all student accounts each semester. This fee will not be billed to VA nor covered by the Hazlewood Exemption. Students must pay the mandatory Student Health Insurance Fee or submit the waiver request if student has external health insurance. Waiver information and instructions can be found on the Student Life website