Master of Science in Addiction Counseling Admissions Requirements
MSAC Admissions Information
The MSAC program begins twice a year, in the Fall and Spring. Please visit the link below for deadline information. The online application and all supporting documentation must be received by the deadline.
- Online Application
Applicants for the MSAC program must complete the TTUHSC SHP application. Additional forms will be added to your checklist after you have submitted the online application. Required supporting documentation (if applicable) can be uploaded from your student status page.
- Application Fee
The $75 Application Fee may be paid by credit card through the online application system. You may also pay by check or money order; mail a check or money order to the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs (3601 4th Street MS 6294, Lubbock, TX 79430). Please make checks and money orders payable to "TTUHSC." The application fee is non-refundable.
- Official Transcripts
Transcripts must be in an official sealed envelope by the institution and sent to our mailing address:
TTUHSC SHP Admissions and Student AffairsEmail PDF Transcripts:
3601 4th Street, Mail Stop 6294
Lubbock, TX 79430
Applicants must submit official electronic transcripts directly from the institution or third-party processing center to email@example.com.
- Applicants must submit official transcripts of college coursework from all colleges attended, utilizing one of the options above. The Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center is separate from Texas Tech University. Do not send transcripts to Texas Tech University, as this will delay the processing of your application.
- Please note, official transcripts from Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center are not required. Official transcripts from Texas Tech University are required.
- Transcripts from any international college or university must have an official course-by-course evaluation from a Foreign Transcript Evaluation Service.
- The applicant's responsibility is to ensure all required application materials, including updated transcripts, are submitted before the application deadline for each program.
- Official GRE Scores
The GRE is not required for the MSAC Program.
- Bachelor's Degree
Individuals applying for the Master of Science in Addiction Counseling (MSAC) degree program should already hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university preferably in a related area such as psychology, sociology, rehabilitation, occupational therapy, social work, special education or nursing, however degrees in other areas will be considered.
- Minimum GPA
To be considered for admission, it is recommended that applicants meet one of the following GPA requirements:
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.7 from all previous institutions, OR
- A cumulative GPA of 2.7 in the last 60 semester hours of courses.
- Applicants with lower GPA's may be considered based upon their work experience in an addiction focused/human services or related field for (3) or more years.
A current resume is required to be submitted through the online application system.
Two letters of recommendation are required for an application to be complete, but the program prefers three letters of recommendation be submitted. Letters of recommendation are submitted online through the SHP Application. A recommender's name and email address will be required. Your recommender will receive an email with a link to our recommendation form for them to submit electronically.
Applicants must complete an essay within the online application. The essay
should include why you want to pursue a Master's Degree in Addiction
Counseling at the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. You will also
be asked to describe yourself, your goals, and how you feel culture/diversity
impacts relationship building.
If you are not a citizen/permanent resident of the United States, please refer to our International Applicants webpage for the additional requirements needed for your application.
Applications are considered on a rolling basis for acceptance into the Addiction Counseling program. Individual applications are reviewed once materials have been received; therefore, it is in the applicant's best interest to complete their application, including submission of required documentation, as early as possible. Fulfillment of the basic requirements does not guarantee admission.
Prior work experience, paid or voluntary, in human service settings will normally be expected. Persons applying with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The applications for admission to the MSAC program are reviewed and rank ordered according to:
- Academic performance
- Career goals
- Previous work or volunteer experience to the field
- Unique individual contributions to the field
- Writing skills
- Computer literacy
The faculty admissions committee selects the top applicants and rank orders them according to the selection criteria. Selected applicants are contacted for a web-based interview. Recommendations for admission are made to the Dean of the School of Health Professions.
Application Submission Checklist
- Online SHP Application
- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation - Two required
Questions regarding the application process should be directed to the Office of Admissions and Student Affairs. Please contact our office by phone at 806-743-3220 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.