FMAT | Student Selection
FMAT Student Selection and Support
Apply for FMAT Here (eRaider login required for current MS1 students, beginning November 1)
Each Family Medicine Accelerated Track (FMAT) class is between 6 and 16 students (typically about 8). The students are distributed among campuses in Lubbock, Amarillo, and the Permian Basin for their third year of medical school and their three years of family medicine residency training.
Students eligible for the FMAT Class of 2021 are those who will be members of the first year of medical school in the Texas Tech School of Medicine during the 2018-2019 academic year.
A portion of the FMAT Class of 2022 will be selected as part of the regular School of Medicine admissions process, so that some students will begin medical school in August 2019 knowing that they will be part of the FMAT program. Students interested in entering that class may apply through the Texas Tech School of Medicine's Secondary Application. Remaining members of the Class of 2022 will be selected from among first-year medical students in the fall-winter of 2019.
Acceptance into the FMAT program is based on merit. Criteria for admission into the program include:
- Expressed interest in a career in primary care/ family medicine, based on information collected during the medical school admissions process and personal statements
- Strong academic performance, assessed based on performance in faculty-prepared and standardized exams in the first two blocks of Year 1 (for students selected during their first-year of medical school)
- Academic performance prior to medical school (for students selected prior to beginning medical school)
- Interviews with members of the FMAT faculty
Applicants are asked to write 3 short (300-word) essays to answer the following questions:
- What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program?
- What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program?
- What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties?
The 2018-19 timeline for the FMAT Class of 2021 application process is as follows:
- November 1, 2018 through midnight February 1, 2019: FMAT application is open
- Early-February: Applicant interviews with FMAT faculty
- Mid-February: FMAT program acceptance extended
FMAT students will participate in the National Residency Matching Program during their third and final year of medical school with the understanding that they will rank first the Texas Tech family medicine residency program on the campus where they are currently completing their final year of medical school.