Residency Program - Curriculum
The Educational Conferences
All residents are required to attend all of the listed conferences without exception. Repeated absenteeism could affect the resident's advancement and promotion. The required educational conferences for all of the residents include the following:
- Patient Care Conference (Check Out Conference)
- ICU Team Conference for SICU residents
- ICU Team Conference for BICU residents
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference
- Resident Didactic Education
- Senior Resident Oral Board Exam Practice
- Multidisciplinary Oncology Conference
- Journal Club, quarterly
- Surgical Simulator and Skills Center, quarterly
- Vascular Conference monthly
- Grand Rounds
The Basic Science and Clinical Lecture Series is held every Friday between 1000 - 1200. Each lecture is given by residents and mentored by faculty. Each lecture will cover topics from basic science and clinical points of view. Although each lecture is independent, the relevant topics on the subject are assigned through Decker-Surgery so the residents can adequately prepare for the lecture. All major topics within general surgery will be covered over a period of one academic year. Residents also have access to TrueLearn modules.
The Booklet of Information – Surgery is published by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) to outline the requirements for certification in surgery. Applicants are expected to be familiar with these requirements and bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that their training complies with ABS requirements, as well as for acting in accordance with the ABS policies governing each stage of the certification process.