Residency Program - Curriculum
The Educational Conferences
All residents are required to attend all of the listed conferences without exception. Repeated absenteeism could affect the resident's advancement and promotion. The required educational conferences for all of the residents include the following:
- Patient Care Conference (Check-Out Conference) every morning at 0645-0715.
- Multidisciplinary ICU Team Meeting (for SICU residents) everyday 0830 – 0900.
- Multidisciplinary BICU Team Meeting (for BICU residents) every Friday 1200-1300.
- Morbidity and Mortality Conference Friday 0800-0900
- Trauma and Burn M&M Conference 2nd Friday of month 0800-1000.
- Resident Education every Friday 1000-1200.
- Clinical Competency Conference session every Wednesday 1200-1300.
- Individualized Remediation Study Sessions.
- Breast Conference every Thursday 1200-1300.
- Multidisciplinary Cancer Conference Every Friday 0700-0800.
- Journal Club every other month at 1800.
- Mock Orals (as scheduled)
- Technical Skills Practice Laboratory (as scheduled).
- Surgery Grand Rounds (as scheduled) Friday 0900-1000.
The Basic Science and Clinical Lecture Series is held every Friday between 1000 - 1200. Each lecture is given by residents and mentored by faculty. Each lecture will cover topics from basic science and clinical points of view. Although each lecture is independent, the relevant topics on the subject are assigned through Decker-Surgery so the residents can adequately prepare for the lecture. All major topics within general surgery will be covered over a period of one academic year. Residents also have access to TrueLearn modules.
The Booklet of Information – Surgery is published by the American Board of Surgery (ABS) to outline the requirements for certification in surgery. Applicants are expected to be familiar with these requirements and bear ultimate responsibility for ensuring that their training complies with ABS requirements, as well as for acting in accordance with the ABS policies governing each stage of the certification process.